HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Rain-X for rear window?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rain-X for rear window?

I love my new 2008 HCH, but....I live in rainy Oregon, and every day have to either see behind me through a blur, or use a squeegee on the rear window to get off the beaded-up rain. Due to the slope of the window, driving speeds, at least in town, don't do much to get the water off. I miss the windshield wiper I have on my Volvo station wagon.

I've considered using Rain-X, but had a bad experience with it on my VW Rabbit back in 1982 or so, as it seemed to actually increase the problem of beading up of rain except on surfaces that got a lot of wind force blowing off the rain.

Anyone have any experience with Rain-X on this particular model's rear window?

On a bit of a tangent...I've read the other posts about Rain-X Fog-X or whatever it's called for the inside of windows. I hate having to run the defogger essentially every day due to the high humidity, seems a real waste of fuel. Any other people in rainy climes having success or failure with such products?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Rejex for the rear window, and the car in general

May I recommend REJEX for all of your windows and the paint surfaces as well. RejeX is a super thin-film polymer that will protect your vehicle. I use it on all of my cars and boats, and it is fantastic for letting water roll off of the car. Try it, and you will love it.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Rain-X for rear window?

There are different RainX product types. Some for outside window treatment other for the inside. I use them both without any issues (yellow and black bottles respectively).

On the rear and side windows + mirrors I do not use RainX at all. I find that a good automotive paint sealant is best as the water beads never get too large due the extremely slippery surface. I apply the paint sealant twice a year to the entire car, just to be sure. I have been using WolfGang's High Gloss sealant, but many folks claim great success with the highly acclaimed Rejex.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks to both of you....I always can trust msantos' replies! I have a bit of wariness with Orient Express' response--he may be perfectly sincere, but his posting sounds like he has an economic interest in Rejex.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Charles;

Gary is definitely OK, and Rejex is a great product. You can't go wrong with Gary's recommendation at all.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 11-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I second Rejex. I've covered my entire car with the stuff and have applied it to my windshield a couple of times. Works great!

Jess

Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Message received, guys. I need to get to my local True Value and buy some. We are expected to have clear weather for Thanksgiving, and that would be a good day to get outside and put this stuff on.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ok... no invested interest (feel silly having to state that) here but I use Invisible Glass... it was not meant for rain but it does such a good job of cleaning the window that rain seems to bounce right off. I haven't used my wipers since I've bought my car. The only complaint that I have about rainx is that if you don't put it on just right I always seem to get a streak that really shows up at night against opposing traffic (lights).

Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Ok... .. I use Invisible Glass... it was not meant for rain but it does such a good job of cleaning the window that rain seems to bounce right off. I haven't used my wipers since I've bought my car. The only complaint that I have about rainx is that if you don't put it on just right I always seem to get a streak that really shows up at night against opposing traffic (lights).
Thanks for the tip. I used Invisible Glass and found there was some nasty film on the inside of my windows. As I cleaned, I could see marks in it where the installation suction cups had been on the glass. It took about three rounds of Invisible Glass, but then I had nice, clean glass that is MUCH less prone to fogging.

I do recall almost dying in our VW Rabbit on a rainy, winding road at night when the RainX made oncoming headlights glare so badly we were blinded. I would never use that stuff on the windshield.

Next step is that trip to True Value for some Rejex. It seems pretty likely we will have clear weather in Oregon some day in the next 5 months or so....

Old 11-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The other week I put rainx on my windows. It rained today and I didnt need to use the wipers. I haven't had any problems with glare.

Quick Reply: Rain-X for rear window?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands