HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Scangauge II problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Scangauge II problems

Hello,
My ScangaugeII arrived today, and I connected it to the ODBII port in my HCHII. I configured all recommended parameters such as tank size, engine size, and fuel type.

Now, it seems as if the Scangauge is causing problems with my HCHII. I've never seen the check engine light appear before in over 10K miles of driving, it appeared shortly after I connected the Scangauge with a C1555 trouble code. Then, a few hours later I started my car and all the problem lights in the dash were lit - IMA, brake system, the "D" transmission light was flashing... etc. The IMA system was disabled and there was no motor assist. I disconnected the Scangauge, restarted the car, and everything seemed normal except the check engine light was still lit. The trouble code that the Scangauge reports (C1555) doesn't turn up anything on google and it can't be cleared by the Scangauge.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with their Scangauge? Besides the problems I mentioned, the gauges seem to work well and provide lots of nice information. I'd like to continue using this tool, but if it keeps causing problems then I can't continue to use it.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Scangauge II problems

pagemap:

I've been using my Scangauges for quite a while without any big issues at all. There are a few glitches now and then but nothing that cannot be easily resolved.

This is what I recommend:

-Reset the Scangauge to factory settings. You can use the menu to do this.
-Disconnect the Scangauge from the OBD port.
-Disconnect the 12V battery for roughly 10 minutes.
-Re-connect the 12V battery and then reconnect your Scangauge II.
-Turn the ignition to position II or just start the car. At this point all should be back to normal, except for the IMA SoC gauge. To resolve this last one, simply go for a nice a leisurely 10 minute drive. When you return the SoC will be a full 8 bars.

If the above does not resolve your problem then I recommend you initiate an RMA request with Linear Logic.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'll try that, thanks!

Also, if I eventually have to take my car into the dealership as a result of this, could my warranty possibly be voided if they knew I had a ScanGaugeII connected?

Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Yes, they could argue it that way. So the best thing we can do is NOT to empower them with the knowledge that you have a Scangauge at all.

I have a Scangauge in my 2 HCH's and 2 additional ones on 2 of the 3 Prius. I know they work well and reliably and I have not removed them yet, even when I take the cars in for service. Besides, the service departments know me quite well already.

But in your case, I would choose to play it safe until you get things sorted out to your satisfaction. Even though the Scangauge is pretty harmless in normal operation, it is conceivable that if when malfunctioning it could "write" to the vehicle and really mess up the software or state on any of the subsystems connected to the bus. Contrary to what some people think, the SG can not only read, but also write quite well, although that operation is normally limited to turning the MIL indicator off.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 12-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update:

This morning I was able to clear the trouble codes without issue. Afterwards, the car made a ~100 mile round trip without any issues. I'm not sure if it made a difference, but when I attempted to clear the codes yesterday (unsuccessfully), the ICE was running. This time I just had the key in the "Run" position when clearing the codes.

Originally Posted by pagemap
Hello,
My ScangaugeII arrived today, and I connected it to the ODBII port in my HCHII. I configured all recommended parameters such as tank size, engine size, and fuel type.

Now, it seems as if the Scangauge is causing problems with my HCHII. I've never seen the check engine light appear before in over 10K miles of driving, it appeared shortly after I connected the Scangauge with a C1555 trouble code. Then, a few hours later I started my car and all the problem lights in the dash were lit - IMA, brake system, the "D" transmission light was flashing... etc. The IMA system was disabled and there was no motor assist. I disconnected the Scangauge, restarted the car, and everything seemed normal except the check engine light was still lit. The trouble code that the Scangauge reports (C1555) doesn't turn up anything on google and it can't be cleared by the Scangauge.

Has anyone else had this much trouble with their Scangauge? Besides the problems I mentioned, the gauges seem to work well and provide lots of nice information. I'd like to continue using this tool, but if it keeps causing problems then I can't continue to use it.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:52 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

"Contrary to what some people think, the SG can not only read, but also write quite well, although that operation is normally limited to turning the MIL indicator off."

Umm...is that a good thing? Why would the SG even need to "write" ?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Pagemap:

I plugged in a SGII that I got for Christmas to my '06 HCH. I used it for about 200 miles without problems. This morning when I turned off the car for a short time and turned it back on, all the dash lights including the IMA warning light and check engine light stayed lit. I turned off the engine and restarted. This cleared everything but the check engine light.

SGII didn't immediately notice an engine code. But 5 minutes later it showed a C1555 code. The car seems to be running fine. I think I'll just clear it like you did and see if it happens again.

-dan

Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Dan

After I cleared the code it hasn't returned. The SGII has been working well since then, no check engine lights, etc have appeared again.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had a CEL too. When I connected the SG, it told me the same c-1555 code. Does anyone actually know what this means? I cleared the code and the CEL has disappeared for now.

I have noticed that the SG is very optimistic with it's iFE meter. Would anyone care to share the settings that they put in for their SG? (engine size (1.3?), fuel tank size (12?), etc)

Thanks,
Colby

Old 04-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I found some helpful info on the SG at http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-...uage-ii-6.html

Just some info from my experience w/ the SGII, and feedback I received from Linear-Logic.

1. Do NOT select the FAST refresh rate. Our car uses ISO which doesn't allow more than 8 requests/second for data. In the FAST rate, the requests can be up to 16/second. The computer will usually just stop responding to some requests. This will have unpredictable effects on your car. Mine stopped showing the fuel cutoff condition.

2. For those that have received the C1555 code, it is a Honda code which has not been defined/released yet. It may or may not be related to item 1 above, but my Civic only threw that code when I had the FAST refresh rate selected.

3. Do not adjust the CUTOFF value reached using MORE>SETUP>FUEL. This is a value to determine if the fuel cutoff is the cause of an open-loop condition or if it is due to hard acceleration. This was a late addition to the current version of the program and not covered in the manual. The ScanGaugeII compares the TPS reading to this value. If it is below the CUTOFF value, fuel cutoff is indicated. If it is above, hard acceleration is indicated. Normally, there is no need to adjust the default value. The reason it is adjustable is that a few vehicles have very high no throttle TPS values. The best value is to set it 3 above the no-throttle TPS level, but this is not critical. If you adjust it to 0, fuel cutoff sensing will be disabled in the ScanGaugeII.
Where have you mounted the SG in your HCHs? I put mine in the upper center pocket. I didn't want to drill any holes, so I just removed the top cover that you can't see anyways and ran the wire back into the dash. I think MSantos may have a similar setup.