HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Sub Pack load test - 2007 Civic hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sub Pack load test - 2007 Civic hybrid

LOL consistency is best.

yes i think i might as well do that swap the whole pack out.

hum... ok so do a full 3 cycles to 1v/cell or should i just do a full pack cycle to >1v? LOL

i know i know, im trying to go the lazy way out haha.

but yea, i'll do 3 cycles then and then bring it back up from last discharge to 70%.

15 second load test and then full charge all packs, note voltages and end capacity, and then install them in the pack.

sound good?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Actually, whole pack cycles are good AFTER a topping charge (where you're pretty much guaranteed 100% SoC on a cell level - aka grid charging), but I'd do:

Cycle 1: high current to 158V, low current (<400mA) to 105V.
Cycle 2: high current to 158V, low current (<400mA) to 66V.
Cycle 3: high current to 158V, low current (<400mA) to 13V.

EXCEPTIONS: Target voltages are guidelines. I recommend limiting capacity extracted below 158V to < 1500mAh or so to minimize the potential for damage during the many many cell reversals as the voltage drops.

What you should see is the discharge time to 158V increasing with each cycle. If limiting extraction based on 1500mAh capacity and discharge time, you'll see progressively lower voltages when discharging on a capacity limited basis.

I greatly prefer a timed discharge at known current below 158V. The clock doesn't start until the voltage drops back below 158V with the lower load.

Pack level stuff isn't as effective as stick or subpack cycling, but it has a high reward to effort ratio if the stick are salvageable.

Fully charging all subpacks and building a pack works great.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast

hum... that sounds like something i would try on my pack inside my car just to see what i can do for the sub or stick level data.

currently for this "new" box of subpacks im doing. i'll just do finish off the stick level discharge and go to subpack charging X3 for all 11 sticks, do the load @70% charge for 15 seconds and see where all my data lands me. if everything looks good, i'll just do a full charge all subpacks to full, note data and use that while i do more work on my original cells btw which was a "refurbo" pack from falcon hybrids in nj.

i took the seat out yesterday just to look around and i was like WTF? lol

Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Sounds like a good plan.

Oh ****... Falcon. Sorry. There's a lady on here that's on her third Falcon pack in 2 months at last count. Haven't heard back from her for months. yes... moar testing!

What do you mean about the seat?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

i haven't taken a look at the ima battery in this car ( purchased about 2 months ago) until yesterday which i found out and to do that i had to take out the seat and the aluminum panel. hence "i took out the seat yesterday" lol

Old 03-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

Also once i do the 3 cycles and the 100a load test at 70% soc

after the 30 min cool down and then discharge to 6v/cell i should have about 1500 mah left right?

given if it's an approximation of 50-60am per stick @ 15 seconds should have used about 1500 mah for the load test maybe more depending.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:03 AM

Ah... well, comparing the HCH2 to Insight, HCH1, Toyota Prius, Camry, Altima Hybrid, Lexus GS450h... the HCH2 is the absolute easiest pack to pull. I can do start to finish (open car, remove pack, install replacement, close car) in under 25 minutes.

60A * 15sec/1hr/3600sec * 1000mAh/hr = 250mAh consumed in the load test - very little. If they're healthy, you should have something near 3000mAh left. Whatever the number is, you're just hoping for consistentcy within about 10%.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

right, idk was thinking. ok i will let you know.

7 more days to go LOL

Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast

the 7 day SD test failed horribly.

it seems that these packs hold well to the 5 day mark.

some subpacks had varying stick voltages levels. i am going to redo the test.

also my charger died. it's burnt, i was doing some back to back 5c charges on my lipos that i needed charged for a small race and boom lol. it burnt to crisp.

i ordered a powerlab 8 should be here tomorrow. im going to redo the packs and test at 5 day SD levels as it seems they held up well. i rarely leave the car sitting for 2 days as it's my daily driver.

hopefully results will differ.

btw have you ever tried the powerlab 8's? or any cellpro stuff? i used to use their lipos back in the day but they got expensive so went toward the cheaper china routes lol

Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Sorry to hear about the charger!

It is very unlikely that they hold well to the 5 day mark. SD is initially the highest in the first days. Voltage may look okay at the 5 day mark, but I assure you, they are craptastic. Your two day vs. 5 day logic is flawed. They will give you problems, and you will be back into the pack soon (weeks) even if you drive it daily. Imbalance will get progressively worse as you have 132 cells with different SD rates. Unless you're getting down to the cell level, you can't know.

With HCH2 subpacks, I have found they may require a ridiculous number of cycles to get some SD improvement even if they have good capacity, i.e., they have to be full-range cycled even after their capacity plateaus. 5.5A charge and 20A discharge. Of course, they may never improve.

Never used them, but Powerlab is fine. You're limited to 100W internal discharge power, which precludes 20A discharges. You'll be limited to about 14A nominally. That should work. Or you need to devise a regenerative setup.

Set it to 8 dch/chg cycles, 11A charge (to speed it up), 14A discharge, 25 minute wait time between each leg of the cycle. If you can set NiMH -dV sensitivity, I recommend 3-4mV/cell. Cooling air across the stick needs to be continuous.

A complete cycle will take you 2.75 - 3 hours, so you're looking at 1 stick per day, 22 days. Add 7 days of SD testing interleaved in there (stick 1 gets SD test on day 8, stick 2 on day 9, etc.), and you're looking at 29 days.

With regenerative, you could do the subpack as a pair. Charge at 11A and discharge at 20A. If you do this, your cutoff voltage for the pair needs to be 13.2V.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Sub Pack load test - 2007 Civic hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands