Charge Amp 5.50 (100% of capacity)
Discharge Amp 1.00 (20% of capacity)
Cut off Peak mV 5
Cut off V 1.00
Cut off 140 F
Trickle Amp 0.00
Time 20:00
CYC 1

This is assuming you took the caps off so you are only charging 1 stick (1/2 of the welded pair) at a time.

Good luck!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: Sucessfully Reconditioning an IMA Battery Pack

Originally Posted by btownmadness
I can't quite believe Honda does not offer such a reconditioning service under warranty or for a nominal cost. They could get a ton of good customer feedback for relatively minimal cost instead of disgruntled customers pissed at them for not helping them out. I will bet Honda does not because it is still not good for their bottomline--lame.
If trying to save money, this kind of labor-intense process is better suited for the individual enthusiast.

I'm guessing there were many hours of labor went into this process. 10? 20? more? Plus, each battery would ties up a charger for days on end.

And in the end there is no guarantee of long-term results.

From an hours-of-labor and complexity standpoint, it is more efficient for a dealer to simply take out the old battery and put in a new battery.

That said, there are independent shops like mine, that at least will do pack level grid charging. But even this costs several hours of labor. We slowly charge the pack, hold the charge there until it is completely full (can take nearly 24 hours), then do several more charge and discharge cycles. Because we do this at low current levels, it takes several days.

I could do stick level charging for a customer if they were willing to pay for all the labor involved.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ericbecky
And in the end there is no guarantee of long-term results.
Yah, this is probably it.

Especially with the Consumer Reports about Civic Hybrid Batteries being unreliable: http://autos.yahoo.com/news/honda-ci...175349961.html

When now we know it could just be one to a few stick instead of the entire set.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

Is there any way to intentionally fail honda civic ima battery to get replacement under warranty?
I am confident that some of the recalls and updates are intentionally implemented to prevent the battery from failing under warranty by severely limiting is assistance making it pretty much useless :/
My IMA light came on and when I took it in to the dealership they reset it, did a software update and said nothing was wrong. Honda has terrible customer service!! They don't stand behind their products. I wouldn't intentionally seek to fail my battery if they hadn't patched the software from allowing to fail under warranty just to save their asses from replacing thousands of batteries under warranty.
I get sudden and complete drops in battery meter, recals and all that jazz :/

Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hman
Is there any way to intentionally fail honda civic ima battery to get replacement under warranty?
I am confident that some of the recalls and updates are intentionally implemented to prevent the battery from failing under warranty by severely limiting is assistance making it pretty much useless :/
My IMA light came on and when I took it in to the dealership they reset it, did a software update and said nothing was wrong. Honda has terrible customer service!! They don't stand behind their products. I wouldn't intentionally seek to fail my battery if they hadn't patched the software from allowing to fail under warranty just to save their asses from replacing thousands of batteries under warranty.
I get sudden and complete drops in battery meter, recals and all that jazz :/
I didn't see a way to do this from reading years of threads here. One person had the same problem, many recabs and no IMA light. Til one day there was an IMA light and he drove to Honda directly without stopping his car (to keep it on). Then finally replaced the battery.

Yes, the software update was to use the battery less... meaning it will last longer...meaning it could last thru the warranty...and failing after the warranty... (hence I never did it). That and the lower MPG.

As for terrible customer service, they are just following the rules. There are manuals/procedures and they followed it. (I have read them).

Basically they can NOT replace the battery without the IMA light. They followed the troubleshooting step and your IMA light went away.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Nearly 2 months... How's your MPG, 2007 Civic?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

I'm getting close to 7,000 miles since I reconditioned the battery pack. So far, everything still looks good. I've had one recalibration, but that was after I disconnected the 12 volt battery to change the engine coolant. From what I've read, disconnecting the battery pretty much guarantees a recalibration, so I'm not worried yet.

Now that the weather has warmed up, I'm getting a little better than 45 mpg.

Last edited by 2007 Civic; 04-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yah the recalibration happens when you disconnect the 12 volt and it "reset" the computer

Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

I have disassembled my IMA battery, individually cycle charged the stick and refurbished them, and have battery put back together and grid charged to 189.4V. Has anyone installed the IMA battery at this state of charge or let it settle back to 158V before installing it?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Enthusiast

The MRC Brain 989 would have been an excellent charger for reconditioning the 2007 Hybrid cells, however for some reason I was unable to charge the green sticks with it, I was however able to charge both orange and green sticks with the FMA Direct Power Lab 6. This is a far more superior charger that I also use for my hobby with charging lipos. I endeed up paying for an MRC Brain because of the instructions in this thread so I am probably going to sell this charger. The only down side to using the Power Lab 6 is that for chargin one side of the pack it didn't seem to stop at 5500 MAH or whatever the batteries are rated for so I had to periodically check up on it.I put the battery back in the car on Sunday and ended up passing North Carolina state inspection and I am getting much better performance and greater MPG went from 34MPG to 43MPG which doesn't seem that great but I don't really drive the car like its a hybrid.

Quick Reply: Sucessfully Reconditioning an IMA Battery Pack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands