HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

As we are slowly emerging out of winter - at least around my parts - I've decided to post a few pictures of the TPMS system I had installed last fall. In reality I did not really get to use it that much because at the time I had installed the sensors on the OEM wheels and not on my winter wheels.

Anyhow, for those of you who followed this thread, you've noticed that Matt (06HCH2) had ventured to purchase a similar unit and also had it installed. He has some good pictures of his install on that thread.

Here's the link to the eBay direct TPMS system:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-MITSUBISHI-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is a direct system in that it is superior to many systems that some cars come equipped with. It monitors each wheel independently and on top of it all, allows you to set the pressure thresholds as well as temperature. For those of us who like to keep a good eye on the tire pressure, this is a must have system !!!

So what happens when the pressure on one tire goes below the threshold limit you set (say 39psi) ?? The unit 's backlight goes ON and the unit will start producing a beeping noise. You pull over and you'll see that the offending tire is blinking at twice the normal rate. It is that simple.

Perhaps the most involved step in setting up your vehicle to use this system is the installation of the sensors on your wheels. For this you may want to take your OEM wheels to your favorite shop or dealership. In my case, I had the tires removed from the rims at a tire shop... and I brought them all back home with me in that state which gave me a chance to properly secure the sensors on the rims. Then when I was done with the sensor mounting, I took the rims and tires back to the shop and had them mount the tires and balance each wheel. In total, the tire shop costs came to about $60 (CND).

This weekend however, the temps were a little more agreeable and I decided I had enough of the noisier winter wheels. So I placed the OEM wheels back on and snapped these pics.

Please excuse the quality of these pics. Today was overcast and the pictures were taken inside the garage. As you can tell, the lighting is lacking.

Here's a perspective of the unit as seen from the passenger's view. The recommended mounting location for this unit was the windshield. Somehow that did not sit well with me, so I decided to mount it here on the lower console.

However, as you notice, I had alot more stuff there already. Everything from a power delivery standpoint to USB hub for the various devices (IPOD, bluetooth gizmos, etc) to my PDA GPS mount, so placing the TPMS unit there was not only logical, it was also very convenient.

In this picture you'll see the crude aluminum plate I adapted to the rear of the TPMS unit. It is very thin so it does have negligible impact on the sensors' signals. The rear of the unit has two adhesive pads and the plate is securily glued there. What you see at the top of the plate (the flange) is actually a large velcro surface that will mate to its counterpart on the outer lip of upper cubby-hole (where I usually have my sun-glasses). The bulky black strip along the middle of the unit is some rubberized foam that will cushion the unit for a better fit it its final position.

A simple view of the front of the TPMS console unit.

This is a view of the unit installed in position and in operation.

Yet, another view...

And that is all for now. The other thread actually contains some installation details that although not rigid, they do provide some clues if you decide to install this unit on your HCH-2.

It is well worth it and highly recommended, both from a safety perspective as well as fuel economy.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 03-31-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default And now for a different point of view

It always seemed to me that gadgets like this tire air pressure monitoring system were a bit of overkill for a simple problem, checking the air in your tires. A $5 air gauge would do the job just as well, and would give you the opportunity to look at your tires and check for damage.

There are so many gadgets of dubious worth out there today, I put tire monitors in the same class as this one!(click) Have we grown so lazy that we need things to beep at us so we can do the obvious?

BTW, doesn't the control unit look similar?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

Indeed Gary, that is a valid personal perspective. Not everyone will see the benefit of a TPMS and that is OK.

However, you'll definitely see many of these systems "federally mandated" as standard equipment into future vehicles - whether you equate them to a "toilet"or not, there's no avoiding that. The question for most of us and the industry is: will most manufacturers choose a direct or indirect system? Whichever the system, while for some the value of any system becomes dubious, for others it is a good safety feature to have.

Here's a typical scenario:

Somehow... we got a flat and we just started driving at highway speeds. The affected tire continues to lose pressure and its temperature begins to rise. With a good TPMS system the pressure and temperatures are monitored and the alert is issued well before the tire either totally deflates or simply desintegrates.
This is one of the main reasons why these systems will be legislated in as standard equipment in future vehicles. I for one believe, they should have been standard equipment for a long time and not just standard features for luxury vehicles.

I too have had a cheap digital gauge to keep an eye on the tire pressures. I've visited all four corners of my cars regularly and still managed to notice a tire or two that would lose pressure at a faster rate especially in colder temperatures. Now, I don't do that as often. Besides, because my wife definitely never checks the tires at all - ever - I feel more assured of that extra layer of safety and efficiency.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 03-31-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:29 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

a tpms came standard on my previous car and saved my azz, wheels, tires, and gas. i consider it highly valuable, especially when you're trying to save fuel. when msantos told us about the unit for sale on ebay, i jumped on it.

Last edited by 06hch2; 04-01-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 AM
For my daughter
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

Before to agree with the point of view of Orient Express, I have 2 questions.

1. MStantos what is your point of view about the "cost/benefit" analysis. Does the fuel economy, tire economy pays the TPM inside a short period of time ?

2. Msantos, like you I put winter tires and 4 seasons tires but with two sets of rims. Will I have to buy to sets of sensors ? (certainly yes!) but can we buy the sensors without the consol ?

For the moment, TPM look like a good solution for persons like me that think about tires about twice a year.

Pierre

Old 04-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by PapaMile
Before to agree with the point of view of Orient Express, I have 2 questions.

1. MStantos what is your point of view about the "cost/benefit" analysis. Does the fuel economy, tire economy pays the TPM inside a short period of time ?

2. Msantos, like you I put winter tires and 4 seasons tires but with two sets of rims. Will I have to buy to sets of sensors ? (certainly yes!) but can we buy the sensors without the consol ?

For the moment, TPM look like a good solution for persons like me that think about tires about twice a year.

Pierre
Pierre, those are good questions. Here's my subjective analysis mixed with a fair amount of public knowledge:

1 - Sporting higher tire pressures ALWAYS means better fuel economy. In my case the difference can be as high as 1 l/100km or more. For our friends in the US, it can amount to 10 mpg or more depending on how high a pressure you want to go and remain at. For some of us running our OEM tires the "max pressure" is a good starting point and keeping it there accurately for all four tires means we wear all four tires as evenly as possible. If my tires last a couple of years more as a result of this more meticulous (and less stressful) monitoring then the TPMS pays for itself.

What about when it is cold outside? How many people feel like getting their trusty hand gauge and checking their tire pressure regularly? At some point we all regretted our laziness and/or neglect by only noticing the bad FE or excessive tire wear when it is too late. How much would you be willing to pay to not have to worry as much about it? $10? $50? $400?
Also, what price do we put on safety? Well with this TPMS having cost less than $160 it IS a pretty "cheap" way to aleviate most concerns about the rubber we ride on.

2- This particular product line does not appear to offer the sensors only (I enquired). But since it costs much less than $100 for the whole set, it still is LESS expensive than most other competing products. The competition with these features orbit around $300 or often more.
So... I bought two sets. I will be putting the second set of sensors on the Winter tires when fall returns. Yes, I end-up with two monitoring consoles and I may just switch them in and out to match the set of wheel/tires I have in the car. This is because the monitoring consoles seem to remember the user defined pressure and temperature settings while unplugged. Again, this is good because I run my X-ICE winter wheels at 52psi and my OEM wheel with Dunlops at 44psi.

However, I am looking for suppliers of sensors in Taiwan since these are generic sensors with an industry standard frequency and protocol.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by msantos
Pierre, those are good questions....
What about when it is cold outside? ...
Of course those are good questions. That are my questions

Well, probably the ones who compare this kit with a bidet do not have to check their tires pressure in the snow at -20f/-30c too often.

Thank you for the information I will consider it very seriously next fall.

Pierre

Last edited by PapaMile; 04-01-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

What about when it is cold outside? How many people feel like getting their trusty hand gauge and checking their tire pressure regularly? At some point we all regretted our laziness and/or neglect by only noticing the bad FE or excessive tire wear when it is too late. How much would you be willing to pay to not have to worry as much about it? $10? $50? $400?
If it is that cold, for less than $10 (USD) $900 (CDN), the truly lazy and neglectful can simply swing by the nearest Home Depot and buy a rent a laborer to check their air pressure for them. They may not even have to roll down the window!

One caveat, a working knowledge of spanish may be necessary.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

You are too funny Gary. LOL

Take care.

MSantos

Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Hybrid-Hugger

Has anyone looked at the ~$150 solutions that screw onto the tire valve? I would like the system but find that (no offense MSantos) the grey doesn't look nice. I have seen some smaller portable units but they use the screw on transmitters (and thus, you could potentially knock them off or have them stolen). I think Canadian Tire was advertising one such system for $140 and it looked nice and compact.
Any thoughts on these types of solutions?

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Direct Type

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands