HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

TPMS concerns with 2nd wheel set for HCV II?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Rookie Enthusiast
Default TPMS concerns with 2nd wheel set for HCV II?

hello all,

I'm a brand new owner of a 2008 HCV II, and really appreciate all the useful info being posted on this site. (Previous car-- an '86 Camry w. 252K-- it was time for a change!)

My question may have been addressed on earlier threads that I missed, but I'd welcome a quick update. I'm planning on buying a set of winter tires to replace the dealer-installed Dunlops for our very sloppy season. I'd prefer to get a 2nd set of rims to mount them on, but I'm unsure of the best way to deal with the TPMS sensors that come installed with the new 2008. It looks like there are a couple of different options with different drawbacks, but I'm not sure I've got my facts right, and I'd welcome some input.

1. I could buy a 2nd set of wheels that accommodate the '08 sensors, AND buy a 2nd set of TPMS sensors, which gets a bit expensive. But could a 2nd set of sensors be calibrated to match the existing system, or would I need to have the system re-calibrated each time I switch wheels?

2. Alternatively, I could by a 2nd set of wheels without getting additional TPMS sensors and simply live with the 'TPMS warning light' on the dash for as long as the winter tires are installed. I'm guessing that the system would respond in the same manner as when the donut spare is installed (described in the owner's manual-- TPMS and then possibly the Low Tire Pressure indicators would come on). But does this create longer term problems with the detection/alert system? Would I need to have the system re-calibrated when I switched back to the Dunlops with the TPMS sensors (or their summer replacements)?

3. Or I could just buy a set of winter tires and have them installed on the existing wheels (along with the existing TPMS sensors); but would the sensors need to be recalibrated each time this was done? This option would be the least expensive (at least in the short term), but eliminates the convenience of having 2 wheel/tire sets to swap with the seasons.

4. And lastly, would I need to have adjustments to the TPMS system done at the dealer, or would other qualified tire stores be competent to do the work?

Hmm, that got wordier than I meant it to be, and I may be overlooking something obvious (particularly given my unfamiliarity with the TPMS system-- not included on the '86 Camry!) Any suggestions?

thanks, Philip C

Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: TPMS concerns with 2nd wheel set for HCV II?

Philip;

I have exactly the same situation with my 06 and 07 HCH. I chose not to add the TPMS sensors to the winter wheel sets because the calibration of each sensor would have to be done twice a year. In my case I would be doing it a total of four times for both cars. No good. Instead I simply ignore the TPMS monitor warnings while I have the winter wheels on. There are no issues to fear from the missing sensor set at all... other than the annoyance of the warning.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Rookie Enthusiast

Hi, MSantos,

thanks! That's very helpful-- and definitely more economical. Just a quick follow-up; when you switched back to you summer tires (the ones with the TPMS sensors), did they automatically integrate with the car's detection system, of did they need re-calibrating?

Much appreciated!

Philip

Old 02-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

They were simply picked up automatically as soon as you bring the wheels close enough to the car. No re-calibration is necessary.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Rookie Enthusiast

thanks again; sounds like a plan!

Philip

Old 02-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MSantos: I thought only the 2008s have TPMS. Do all Canadian HCHIIs have it?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 PM

They are after-market. H

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Colby:

As Harold said, mine are after-market installations. The TPMS system I have in my cars is also an in-wheel "direct type" which is identical in specifications and behavior to the factory TPMS Honda is including in the 2008.
However, my systems extend the typical OEM functionality, by displaying the indiviual tire pressures and temperatures in addition to producing the sound alerts at the pressures and temps that I specifically set. This provides critical insight when you inflate your tires at max pressure and beyond.

I have always been a firm believer that all cars should be TPMS equipped and I am very happy that Honda actually picked a good direct system for their 08 HCH.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up. Just curious, how much does a TPMS system cost?