HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default transmission fluid change

Hi Guys,

I am due for my service and my maintainance minder is reporting that I need to do an A123 service at ~24k miles. The 3 service is a transmission fluid change, which seems wayyyyyyy tooooo early. Really? transmission fluid change at 24k miles? A bit ridiculous. I drive in bay area, CA, so I don't think I need to do it until at least 60k if not 100k right? Also, the dealer is quoting me $160 for the change. That seems way to much doesn't it? When did you guys do your transmission fluid change and how much did it cost you?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: transmission fluid change

Change your CVT fluid, air and cabin filters at 30K mile intervals, oil at 10K, and oil filter every other oil change. The CVT transmission takes 3 qts of Honda specific fluid at about $6/qt. This is a very easy DIY project, that anyone can do in an hour. Here are the DIY instructions from Honda. Total cost about $25

Old 03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Change your CVT fluid, air and cabin filters at 30K mile intervals, oil at 10K, and oil filter every other oil change. The CVT transmission takes 3 qts of Honda specific fluid at about $6/qt. This is a very easy DIY project, that anyone can do in an hour. Here are the DIY instructions from Honda. Total cost about $25

Hey Orient,

I am at 24k and it says I need to do A123. Would you say it is a safe bet to wait until 30k to do 2 and 3 (air and cabin filters, and cvt transmission fluid)?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

yes, I would recommend that unless you have been driving in the desert, then doing the fluid and filter changes at 30K are just fine.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Orient. That sounds good to me. Sorry, one more quick question. I've never done a transmission fluid change before. Where would I be able to get the honda CVT transmission fluid? Also, what other equipment would I need to get in order to do this change? I've never really worked on my car, so this is all new to me. Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

NarK

I just did my 123 service 2 weekends ago. It was very easy I got all my stuff from handa-accessories.com. They were much cheaper then my local dealer even with shipping. As far as the trans fill, mine was done at 27k. It took less then 1 hour, even with putting the car on the ramps, and removing the belly pan, drain fluid, and refill, and cleanup. By the way it was the first time for me with this car...Just wait and see how easy it is to replace the cabin filter, my dealer wanted $100.00 labor!!!!!!plus part

Brian

Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

You can get the CVT fluid at your local Honda dealer. Make sure that you also get a new crush washer for the drain plug. It is all very straight forward, just review the DIY instructions I posted below.

You should get some ramps to drive your car up on so that you can get underneath.