HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Vibration / Noise above 50 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Vibration / Noise above 50 MPH

Hi guys,
I bought a 2008 HCHII in October -- recently took it on a road trip from San Jose to Los Angeles. Afterwards, I've noticed that I'm getting kind of a whiny vibration noise when I go above 50 MPH roughty -- the noise seems dependent on speed only (not whether I'm accelerating). It's not terribly loud, but it definitely seems new. I also feel a bit of vibration on the accelerator pedal.

Has anyone experienced the same? I'm going to take it into the dealer I guess -- but I was hoping for some clues on what to expect.
Could it be something stuck in one of my tires? (I haven't noticed anything but I could check more thoroughly).

Thanks,
Ben

Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Default Re: Vibration / Noise above 50 MPH

I took delivery of mine in Dec 07. I do noticed that there are "NOISES" in the CIVIC HYBRID that I have not heard of in normal gas only driven cars.

NOISE 1.

Quite loud noise from the engine compartment. Sounds like fan, but could not confirm as this usually happens when I am in the middle of the road. My other guess is the Electric operated aircon compressor. Will try to turn off the aircon the next time I hear this noise to confirm.

NOISE 2.

When CIVIC HYBRID is in AUTO STOP mode. Foot on stop pedal. When STOP PEDAL is released slightly, there is a high frequency noise. I have tested this many times.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
Yeah -- I noticed those too initially -- this is definitely something different as I've turned off the A/C to hear it.

Ben

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Electric motor when regen is going on. H

Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I've had a VERY annoying noise since day 1. I purchased a automotive stethoscope and found out that it's actually my passenger side seat!! It rattles like crazy at times and other times no noise whatsoever. I had Honda order a new seat track and when they removed the seat found that nothing was wrong with it and left it alone. Still tons of noise but what does help is to flip the seat lever up and move the seat back/forth into a different position. Once it locks it'll (for the most part) stop the noise but it always comes back. I've never had a noise like that before in any vehicle I've ever owned and it really upsets me. Thanks a lot Honda. I'm going to keep taking it back until they can fix it and if they can't this will be lemon-lawed. I hate to be litigious but it's torturous to drive a brand new car that sounds like I bought it from Sanford and Son's. I've also had random noise from the interior lights above the rearview mirror (checked with stethoscope). anyone else had this experience??????????????

Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 AM

Harold,

it cannot be regen. the noise comes on at times even when vehicle is stationary, like at the trafffic junction with auto stop. i wish i could record the sound with my cell phone and post it here.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by 2008 Honda CIvic Hybrid
... the noise comes on at times even when vehicle is stationary, like at the trafffic junction with auto stop...
I suggest you take it in and let the dealer have a look at it.
Although VERY unusual, I would guesstimate the issue is related to the start or forward clutch (most likely the first). In any case if there is really an issue the DTC code will appear and only the dealer will be able to see it.

Again, the HCH-2 produces many interesting sounds and at times they seem to get "amplified" by the quietness of the car. The other thing you could do, is to let someone else who has owned an HCH-2 for a while to experience the sounds you speak of. In any case, a dealer tech is still the obvious "qualified" substitute set of ears.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 02-04-2008, 07:53 AM

No it would not be regen at Idle. H

Old 02-04-2008, 01:07 PM

If you are autostopped with the A/C off, my guess is that it's either the radiator fan, or something is wrong.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:48 AM

I did some preliminary checks. Here is what I conclude...

Noise 1:

Looks like it is coming from the Electric Motor for the Aircon. Variable noise levels. When it works harder, the noise level is higher.

I agree with msantos... "the HCH-2 produces many interesting sounds and at times they seem to get "amplified" by the quietness of the car". as the torque is so good, we usually drive at low engine speed, thus car is relatively quiet.

Noise 2:

Seems like the electronic delay timer to disengage the brakes when we lift the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Vibration / Noise above 50 MPH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands