HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What fuels work best? And is the new update for the civic worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default What fuels work best? And is the new update for the civic worth it?

I contacted the dealer, and apparantly it cost 120 plus to get the new update, however I hear mixed things on how it effects mpg, usually bad.

Lastly, there are a number of fuel variations around, octanes 85 to 91, with out without ethanol. Im currently trying out 87 without ethanol simply because I hear the mpg increase will off set cost, buts its at only half a tank of 87 without ethanol, and the other with ethanol. Im not sure this matters, but I also put in 1.5 gallons of 100 octane to the mix just to see what would happen. It cost 8.09 a gallon.... It doesnt seem to have done anything... DEFINATELY NOT COST EFFECTIVE!!

Water in gas however is proving to be an issue.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What fuels work best? And is the new update for the civic worth it?

The update manages the battery more conservatively - like the Prius and extends battery life. It should be done at no charge. It was a service campaign.

http://www.hybridcars.com/files/A10-034.pdf

"The dealer will update the IMA battery software, free of charge"

The cheapest 87 octane "top tier" fuel you can fine.

E0 has about 3% more energy in it than E15, and you should expect a comparable mpg increase. Only worth it if it's 3% more expensive than E15.

89 and 91 octane have less energy content than 87 octane due to the knock inhibiting compounds. They have zero advantage over 87 octane except they are fantastic at making your wallet lighter.

The ONLY time you should use higher octane fuel is when the car requires it. Period.

For water in gas, HEET.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ive been to two dealers, they all want to charge me to do update. Hopefully I can convince another one to replace battery for free somewhere.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

99% of the people you will talk to at the dealers don't know ****. They have to defer to 1-2 people to get an actual answer.

I gave you the bulletin. Show it to them. Done.