Auto Stop, Charge and Assist

Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Auto Stop, Charge and Assist

I bought my wife a 2009 Saturn Vue this year. We are averaging 22.8 MPG now. It's a great looking and comfortable to drive vehicle, but I'm not real excited about the MPGs considering I'm getting 18 MPG in my 2008 GMC Sierra 4-Door Crew Cab V8. Her driving pattern is home-day care-work-day care-home, which contributes to the issue, but....

Here are some symptoms that might be contributing to the lower than expected MPGs.

The Auto Stop feature doesn't seem to work consistantly. Normally it doesn't work at all regardless of temperature. If it comes on at one stop light, it might not at the next. What is the normal operation of this feature?

Also, the charge assist needle doesn't move much off center. I don't recall seeing it move more than 1/8 either way. Is that normal?

I would appreciate any comments.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto Stop, Charge and Assist

I drove the vehicle tonight and found that I have to retract my statement about the needle position during charge. The needle does move all the way left of center when coasting down hill. However, while in assist mode the needle only moves about 1/16th right of center and the Auto Stop never worked.

Do I need a mechanic?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Post Re: Auto Stop, Charge and Assist

I have a 2007 Hybrid Vue so I can only speak to that year.

You mentioned your wife's driving pattern is home-day care-work-day care-home. What are the distances? If she is only traveling a few miles or less each time - that might not be enough for the auto stop to kick in.

With temps above 60 degrees - I can get the auto stop to kick in after two miles. With temps below 60 degrees it takes much longer. 60 degrees is the turning point.

My assist never gets past 1/4th. Keep in mind - if the battery has not charged it will not assist. If you start out with the foot on the gas the whole way - the Hybrid Vue will have nothing in the battery stored to assist you. The first part of my commute contains traffic lights that allow me to coast and regenerate the battery. By the time I get to the highway, the Hybrid Vue is warmed up and ready to go.

Coasting with the Hybrid Vue is extremely important. More so than in a regular car. Check out the posts with the tips and see just how many your wife is using. The more you use the better the mpgs.

Good Luck and Safe Travels.