General vue question (probably not just the hybrid)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default General vue question (probably not just the hybrid)

What is the device on the winshield behind the rear view mirror? Testing with a multimeter it appears to provide different voltages. At least 5v and 12v. I'm hacking into it to provide fulltime power for a gps when the car is on. Onstar? XM?

Also where would be a good place near the sunroof that has power even when the car is off? Looking into a cleaner install for my solar trickle charger that does not need the car running.

Last edited by ewitte; 10-18-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: General vue question (probably not just the hybrid)

Never mind. It worked hooked up directly for a while but had side effects. The display on the GPS started dimming when plugged in. I didn't think that it was not 12v but 5. After incorporating the transformer have now determined it doesn't get enough juice to handle it.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: General vue question (probably not just the hybrid)

Another good 12 volt circuit to "back feed" with a solar charger might be a dome light circuit.

It used to be an orange wire in the head liner. The grounding side used to be white.