Heat and control electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Engineering first
Default Heat and control electronics?

Hi folks,

Could someone test the temperature of the covers for the control electronics? I test drove one and noticed these large covers located high in the engine compartment, a normally, pretty warm place. My concern is after sitting for 10-15 minutes, the latent engine heat may heat-soak the control electronics. It may not be a problem but my engineering eyes see things differently.

If you decide to test the temperature, I would recommend using a contact-less, rapid IR probe, Harbor Freight has one for $40. The test senario should be something like this:

1) take a photo or sketch of the engine compartment
2) drive the car long enough to warm it up, 30-40 minutes highway
3) park car and let it sit for 5-10 minutes
4) open hood and quickly take temperature readings
- points around the covers
- points on top of engine
- radiator top
- ambient air, something that is in the shade
5) mark the photo or sketch with the values

What we are concerned about are temperature differences around or in excess of 100F compared to ambient air. Many electronic devices are sensitive to temperatures and 85-125C is about the upper limit. If the control electronics get significantly "heat soaked," there is a risk but there are several risk mitigation strategies.

There may be a temperature sensor that turns off the control electronics when they are too warm. There may be a special cooling air source that wasn't obvious to a casual inspection. There may be a cooling fan. One or all three of these strategies may be in place.

Bob Wilson