Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

Did Obama kill hybrids at GM and Chrysler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Outcast Enthusiast
Default Did Obama kill hybrids at GM and Chrysler?

It's old news what the Obama task force has dictated to GM and Chrysler. But has anyone looked into the impact on their hybrid development?

Wagoner was let go in part due to GM's inability to get a contract with the UAW. The new CEO is faced with getting a contract with the UAW, who is in bed with the democrats, and becoming profitable in 60-days or bankruptcy. All this while pushing hybrid development, aka high cost & low returns. Ain't going to happen!

Chrysler on the other hand is being pushed into a relationship with Fiat. Fiat is based in Italy where 90%!!! of the cars sold are diesel. Just like the Mercedes relationship, I expect the hybrid devlopment to grind to a halt as Blu-diesels become Chryslers solution.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did Obama kill hybrids at GM and Chrysler?

Hybrid development was basically non-existent at Chrysler. Keep in mind that it was spun off from Daimler-Benz a few years ago after the German auto maker realized its buyout of then-independent Chrysler was costing them tons of Euros. Chrysler was purchased at a fire sale price by an investment company. The new management was not interested in running a car company. They just wanted to make it profitable and then sell it or go public. That did not happen.

Wagoner was sacked for a variety of reasons. He refused to negotiate a new contract with the UAW similar to the one Ford agreed to a couple of months ago. And correct me if I am wrong, but has GM even produced a "true hybrid" yet? Wagoner killed the EV1, and spent tens of millions of dollars on an advertising campaign on a car that no one can yet buy (the Chevy Volt). And do we really need a Pontiac that looks like a Chevy that looks like a Buick that looks like a Cadillac? And buying Hummer in 2002? What did Wagoner do that inspired any confidence?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frankieboy
Hybrid development was basically non-existent at Chrysler. Keep in mind that it was spun off from Daimler-Benz a few years ago
And correct me if I am wrong, but has GM even produced a "true hybrid" yet?
GM and Daimler-Chrysler started a joint hybrid development agreement in 2004. About the time Daimler's CEO was getting pressure to dump Chrysler.

Isn't the Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade two-mode hybrid a "true hybrid"?

Last edited by doasc; 04-01-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by frankieboy
Wagoner was sacked for a variety of reasons. He refused to negotiate a new contract with the UAW similar to the one Ford agreed to a couple of months ago. And correct me if I am wrong, but has GM even produced a "true hybrid" yet? Wagoner killed the EV1, and spent tens of millions of dollars on an advertising campaign on a car that no one can yet buy (the Chevy Volt). And do we really need a Pontiac that looks like a Chevy that looks like a Buick that looks like a Cadillac? And buying Hummer in 2002? What did Wagoner do that inspired any confidence?

Not true. GM negotiated with the UAW. UAW has not agreed to same terms for GM as was agreed to with Ford. Not from lack of trying. Just not agreed to yet.

Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalade 2-Mode hybrids all achieve 40+% FE improvement over their non-hybrid base products. 2-Mode Saturn VUE is late but launch is imminent.
Other than put GM in a leadership position in 3 of the top 4 growth markets in the world?

Peace,

Martin

Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by doasc
...But has anyone looked into the impact on their hybrid development?.....
There will be some exciting things rolling out of the GM hybrid development shop over the next few years. Saturn 2-Mode should be launching any day now. Can't talk about any of the others, seeing as how I love my job and would like to keep it.

Peace,

Martin

Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doasc
The new CEO is faced with getting a contract with the UAW, who is in bed with the democrats...
I must eat my words.
http://businessmirror.com.ph/home/bl...uto-union.html

Looks like the UAW honeymoon with Obama is over. Guess it was too hard to criticize the selective bailout of AIG and support the UAW buyout.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stephen431
I hope you're not one of those people still bitter about losing the election and have resorted to posting FUD.
What part is FUD?
- Did Obama fire GM's CEO?
- Did Obama dictate the the new CEO make GM profitable quickly?
- Are efficient cars not gaining market share?
- Did Toyota kill plans to expand production of efficient cars (Prius) in Mississippi?
- Did Obama dictate to Chrysler to take the Fiat Deal?
- Does one of the largest diesel engine makers, Fiat, have interest in the hybrid program Chrysler started developing 5 years ago?

It's one thing to say you're for efficient cars and get pictures taken with an electric car. It's another thing to take actions that will reduce the availability of mass produced hybrids by US car makers.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

I agree that *if* Chrysler survives that it will probably start making more diesels. I'd rather see more hybrids, but a line of fuel-efficient diesel vehicles is better than the collection of guzzler hulks they've got now.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

The part that's FUD is the implication that if GM and Chrysler reduce production or continue not building hybrids, then the blame lies with President Obama.
No the blame would go to GM's new CEO and Chrysler's new owners.....
Obama gets CREDIT for dictating those CHANGES.

but President Obama would rather sell the company to Fiat and have them produce diesels instead?
So you're conceding on that point?

That President Obama had something to do with a Prius plant closing in Mississippi?
Did I say Obama did??? No, but the lack of demand to warrant that plant has stopped Toyota. I guess that was overlooked in the Wagoneer firing. Obviously Wagoneer should have made GM profitable in the same window of time that Toyota, the leader in hybrid production, posted it's first loss in 20 years.

Reality: President Obama wants GM & Chrysler to produce fuel efficient vehicles
I questioned (title:"Did...?") if Obama's actions will kill hybrids at GM and Chrysler, no mention of his desire for fuel efficient cars or that he took any action to negatively impact hybrids at automakers other than GM and Chrysler.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Oh, and here's why Waggoner got fired. He can't come up with a plan that makes GM profitable.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/doc...Assessment.pdf
Speaking of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt). If profitability was the reasoning for Waggoner's firing. Why didn't Chrysler's CEO get fired or BofA for that matter.

Does Fiat's purchase of Chrysler protect jobs there? Will those small cars be built by UAW workers or in Fiat's plant in Brazil?

In the wake of the Fiat deal, Nardelli is stepping down. Waggoner may have done the same but not given a choice. I just "hope" Obama isn't living out some Michael Moore - "Roger & Me" fantasy like W' did with the WMDs in Iraq.

Quick Reply: Did Obama kill hybrids at GM and Chrysler?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands