Government & Taxes Money, credits and more!

HOV Exemption renewal for Northern VA Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HOV Exemption renewal for Northern VA Drivers

Originally Posted by hovordie
I carpool everyday with three people -- that's three cars not on the road every day and that's three less cars not putting out emissions. Rather than encouraging people only to buy hybrids to reduce emissions, they should be encouraging them to also take along another passenger. Otherwise, don't extend the exemption. There are way too many hybrids in the HOV lanes -- our carpool thinks at least 35-40%. They've clogged up the lanes for those who have doubled, tripled and quadrupled up in their cars. It's not fair. Most people who bought the hybrids bought them so they could use the HOV lane not so they would help clean up the air -- they don't deserve that much credit.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

It pays to have a Hybrid for at least another year! The VA house just passed the exemption for another year (until 7/2010) and the Bill (HB2476) has been sent to the VA Senate transportation Committee for Senate approval.

So, new Hybrids can drive in the Rt66 HOV lanes, and Hybrids registered before June, 2006 can still drive in the HOV lanes on I95/395.

Honestly people, I love my 2003 HCH, but if it wasn't for the HOV exemptions, I would give it to my son and buy myself a Jauguar. Looks like I'll keep it for at least another year!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hovordie
I carpool everyday with three people -- that's three cars not on the road every day and that's three less cars putting out emissions. Rather than encouraging people only to buy hybrids to reduce emissions, they should be encouraging them to also take along another passenger. Otherwise, don't extend the exemption. There are way too many hybrids in the HOV lanes -- our carpool thinks at least 35-40%. They've clogged up the lanes for those who have doubled, tripled and quadrupled up in their cars. It's not fair. Most people who bought the hybrids bought them so they could use the HOV lane not so they would help clean up the air -- they don't deserve that much credit.
While I do take advantage of the exception, I do not believe it's fair as it takes away from the spirit of the HOV lanes. however, you should pay more attention to the actual traffic flow. There are never any cloggs caused by high-breads. I live in Triangle VA and take the I-95/395 HOV lanes the entire length to my exit at rt 27 right before the Pentagon. Almost every day I'm driving 70mph in the slow lane all the way up to Arlington. The only time traffic in the HOV lanes is stopped is for an accident. Traffic is free moving with no problems.

Originally Posted by Neil

Honestly people, I love my 2003 HCH, but if it wasn't for the HOV exemptions, I would give it to my son and buy myself a Jauguar. Looks like I'll keep it for at least another year!
lol, I feel the same way. I'd much rather drive my Miata with the top down.

Last edited by MiaTurbo; 04-29-2010 at 07:22 AM.