HEV Inverter Coolant Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default HEV Inverter Coolant Change

I took my 2007 NAH in for the 60K service to an independent shop. One of the Mfr. recommendations is to replace the HEV Inverter Coolant.

The mechanic called one of his friends who is a tech at the local NIssan dealer to find out about it. The NAH tech told him that they have never done one and do not carry the fluid. Furthermore, he is scared to do one. He recommended against doing it unless there is a problem. He feels that opening it up would cause more problems.

Anyone else had this service done?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HEV Inverter Coolant Change

I have not, but I'm under $60K.
Is this a Nissan recommendation, or a dealer recommendation?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

I have 113K miles on my 2007 NAH and have always had it serviced at a dealer. They have never recommended changing the HEV oil. I didn't know it ever needed to be changed. I would stick with what the dealer says on this one. Sounds like changing it could lead to trouble and may even affect your warranty.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 PM
hlv
Enthusiast

The 2007 Nissan Service & Maintenance Guide recommends changing the inverter coolant at 60,000 miles (as the OP noted) or 48 months.

I have attached a copy of a "Nissan & Infinity Tech News Feature" article on "Altima Hybrid Service", which may be helpful. On this topic, it says:

Coolant should be replaced for the first time at 60,000 miles or four years from the production date, whichever comes first. However, after the first coolant service, the coolant replacement interval is shortened to every 30,000 miles or two years. The Altima Hybrid has two separate cooling systems: one for the ICE and one for the inverter and transaxle. It is important to read the service manual procedures before attempting to replace coolant. Improper procedures can lead to damage.

The Altima Hybrid uses Nissan Long Life Antifreeze for both the ICE cooling system and the inverter cooling system.
The article also includes some tips and photos.

The OP's mechanic's friend's advice sounds bad to me. I would try to find someone who is willing to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AltimaHybridServiceArticle.pdf (1.05 MB, 6204 views)

Last edited by hlv; 10-27-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Reference original posting