Warm-Up Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Warm-Up Tips?

I've been reading about and experimenting with my new 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid. I've read about the different modes of operation, which seem to be based on coolant temp.

Does anyone have suggestions on the "best way" in different conditions to most efficiently, easily, and quickly get into the normal operating mode?

On my commute to work in the morning, starting cold I can get 47MPG. The same route, starting out after the car is already warmed up in mode 4, I can get 57MPG. (per the computer)

So it seems that, at least for my commute, figuring out the best way to get into mode 4, without wasting fuel, would possibly make a big difference.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warm-Up Tips?

Just to mention the obvious: see if a block heater is available for your car, it likely is. We're using ours year 'round, a timer is a big help too.

Also, consider grill blocking, at least for the winter months.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

^ Do you have pix of grill blocking?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM

Grill block would need to be tailored to specific grill.

For Honda Civic Hybrid 3/4" (inside diameter) pipe insulation works well. It has a longitudinal slit that can be pushed onto the grill blades. Zip ties to secure them are a good idea.

May or may not work with Altima, depends on grill shape. This thread has Civic Hybrid and Prius specific info, which never the less is an interesting read. There's a table of what % to block at various temp's. Again, Civic/Prius specific, but worth a read:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17560

Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Just to mention the obvious: see if a block heater is available for your car, it likely is. We're using ours year 'round, a timer is a big help too.
I added the block heater to the wife's daily driver, a Lexus RXh. By my measurements (w/ a ScanGauge-II,) it was shaving about 5 minutes off the coolant warm-up time. She has a short commute, so I think it's significant.

Following one suggestion, I run the heater for about 2 hours (on a timer) before wife departs in the morning. A titch over 1 kWh is about a dime a day. (Note, we're in Portland, OR, w/ fairly mild winters.)

Note that others have warned about reduced cat-converter life if the engine warms before it does. I promised to share my time-temp graphs once upon a time, but haven't got to it yet.

Originally Posted by Mendel Leisk
Also, consider grill blocking, at least for the winter months.
Haven't tried this yet, may give it a whirl next winter.

Benton 13aug09

Old 08-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's a link to my grill block and what I used.

You'll also see my block heater cable sticking out. It's the Nissan OEM version for the car, which I bought from a Canadian Nissan dealer. It comes installed in most models up there, as I understand it. Attaches to a "plug" in the block.

Eph

Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Kind of stupid question but how do you know you get 47 or 57 MPG? I just got the 09 hybrid 3 months ago (while clunker deal did not avail yet ). but mine show 32.9 MPG on the screen. It was pretty warm in Cal in last couple months.

-capt3450

Originally Posted by peterdaly
On my commute to work in the morning, starting cold I can get 47MPG. The same route, starting out after the car is already warmed up in mode 4, I can get 57MPG. (per the computer)

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Kind of stupid question but how do you know you get 47 or 57 MPG? I just got the 09 hybrid 3 months ago (while clunker deal did not avail yet ). but mine show 32.9 MPG on the screen. It was pretty warm in Cal in last couple months.

-capt3450

Originally Posted by peterdaly

Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cephraim
<snip>It comes installed in most models up there, as I understand it.<snip>
Eph
That's not uncommon. To the OP, do check for existing block heater. My daughter and her husband were over, and I was looking over their Pontiac Vibe, an eastern Canadian purchase. Lo and behold, it had a block heater. They didn't know about it.

Now if only I could convince them to use it...

Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Enthusiast

cephraim,

How do you remove the grille assemblies without breaking them? I'm all set to add blocking but the grilles don't want to come out.

thanks

Todd

Quick Reply: Warm-Up Tips?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands