Toyota Motor Corporation Lexus and Toyota Hybrids

CODE U029A lost communication with hybrid battery pack sensor module

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast
Default CODE U029A lost communication with hybrid battery pack sensor module

CODE U029A lost communication with hybrid battery pack sensor module HELP!! Driving on Rt 80 car stops running. I can only go 15mph to move over to side. All lights are on dash and Check VSC and Check Hybrid system lights. Call AAA have it towed home. Next day reset the system and check engine light remains on along with Check VSC. Car can drive I take it to pep boys for diagnostic. Code is U029A-Communication issue. All lights reset. I drive home. Next morning get in car starts drive 6 miles and car dies completely at traffic light on Rt 10. Call AAA towed home. Get home start car and it drives.

Has anyone had this issue. Any ideas what needs to be done to fix it?

This is a 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid. 150K miles

Old 03-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: CODE U029A lost communication with hybrid battery pack sensor module

You have a CAN harness fault. More than likely, it is a loose connector or bad wiring harness to/from the skid control ECU. In addition to the skid control ECU, the yaw rate and acceleration sensor, steering angle sensor, power steering ECU and HV control ECU are included in that harness. A good tech with Toyota Techstream software should be able to find and fix the bad connector or replace the harness if required.

It might be something as simple as a loose connector but shouldn't take too long to diagnose and fix.