Toyota Motor Corporation Lexus and Toyota Hybrids

Lexus ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Veracitorian Muser
Talking Lexus ES 300h

They are out, and they deserve their own thread...

I was going to replace my '98 GS 350 with the brand new GS in '07, but I did not like the new GS, for a number of reasons. Walked across the street and saw the brand new Camry hybrid and loved it. Got one of the first Camry hybrids in the US and have loved it for over six years. Now that the ESH is out, I got the best of both worlds: a phenomenal luxury with the best **** drivetrain there is. My ESH serial number is 834, a few lower than was my TCH!

-- Alan

Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Lexus ES 300h

I too have a TCH 07 and saw your thread in the TCH section so I went right out and took a test drive in the new ESH. All I can say is WOW. Like you I love my Camry but after the test drive I think it’s time for an upgrade.
This will be my bucket list car and I wanted the Ultra Luxury package but was told that there are none in the Florida area with no idea when it would be available. Also the Lane Deviation feature isn’t available at all on the hybrid model except in California. The car is still too new I guess. Most models available had the Luxury package with some options like ambient lighting and rain sensing wipers.

Brian
Any FE results yet?

Last edited by Briano77; 09-15-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Veracitorian Muser

I was told that the Ultra Lux package will not come to Arizona due to the expansive glass roof causing too much of a heat load for the AC to keep up with reasonably. Most of the package was added separated to the next package down on my car. Mine also does not have the lane change (which I do not care about) nor the laser cruise (which I have on my Sienna, but do not like--works great, but lulls you into following slower vehicles than you really want). The ambient lighting is very nice, and the rain sensor is wonderful. The only issue with the sensor is when a heavy rain (yes, this does happen in Phoenix!), it can be a bit slow to changes in wiper speed need, lagging the ramp up and down in wiper speed with rain load. In light rain, and when hard rain starts, it seems perfect.

I did one 300 mile loop from Phoenix, up the mountains to Sedona and on to very twisty steep mountain climbing through Jerome and back. The car seems more powerful than the '07 TCH. In my TCH, I would have expected about 37 MPG driving the same way, but on my ESh, I got 40.0, per the computer. My two refills so far are showing nearly a full MPG lower than the computer read, but am getting around 38 (hand calculated), just slightly better than most of my TCH fill ups. Now that I am over 1000 miles, I expect the mileage to stabilize.

On another note, the new '13 Avalon was just announced, and a hybrid is now offered. I have no doubt that the ES and Avalon are sharing a new platform, just as all prior ES models have shared the Camry platform.

-- Alan

Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

Alan,
Thanks for your input. 38 MPH sounds great for a brand new vehicle rated at 40. I’m averaging around 33 on my TCH. When I took a test ride I was surprised by the quick response and asked if this was a six cylinder but it was a four. It was a nice smooth quiet test drive and I’m hooked.
Starfire Pearl and Parchment Leather is want I asked for and the only one available is on a boat heading for Jacksonville and it’s mine if I want it. One thing it won’t have is the Premium stereo but I guess I could live without that along with the Lane Deviation feature. I suppose I could have whatever I want if I wanted to wait long enough. The ESH on the boat won’t be available for about thirty days so I have time to decide.
You got me started on all this. J
Brian