General Motors Corporation Chevrolet, GMC and Saturn hybrids

New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default New Silverado Hybrid Owner

I just purchased a new 2006 Chevy Silverado hybrid and was wondering if there are any other owners here in the forum to compare experiences and/or horror stories.

So far I have owned it around 2 weeks and gotten about 18 mpg combined highway/city. The rear drive shaft broke after 500 miles so I was unable to drive it for 4 days because the dealer was closed for christmas. Since then I have drove it another 200 miles before parking it while I am out of town for work.

I am wondering if it is better to have someone drive it periodically, or to disconnect the battery and leave it sit for the full 2-3 months till I get back?

Last edited by texasranger556; 01-02-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Hey Ryan, sorry to hear about your experience. I really have nothing to offer as I have an Escape, but this forum seemed kinda lonely.

How's 18mpg compare to a regular Silverado? I can certainly attest to the fact that mpg improves over time as (a) the vehicle gets broken in and (b) you 'learn' how to drive it in the most economical way.

I wouldn't even try to disconnect the battery, the worst that can happen is that it'll discharge and you'll recharge it the first time you take it out again.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hello and welcome to GH.

You are (as far as I'm aware) our first Silverado Hybrid owner to these boards. Although I can hardly claim any real knowledge, I would think that you'd be best off either leaving it as it is, or having someone periodically drive it if that's agreeable.

A quick note for others here who may not know, the Silverado Hybrid is a start/stop hybrid, no large scale battery pack to worry about in the same way that other hybrids out there does.

Ryan, I, and I'm sure several others here, would like to know any thoughts you have on your vehicle, and any good/bad points you've noticed either so far, or in retrospect. Even if you don't post that right away and do it months later, I'm sure people would still like to hear your perspectives.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 01-02-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Hybrid True Believer

A lot of cars and trucks initially have problems. My partner's Honda Accord had a heater that conked out -- in January -- before it had gotten 500 miles.

The cool thing about your truck (which my HCH cannot do) is keep a laptop, PDA, cell phone, and MP3 player all charged at the same time while travelling. That is an awesome feature!

Best of luck on the new truck! And welcome!

Old 01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Engineering first

Like everyone else, welcome.
Originally Posted by texasranger556
I just purchased a new 2006 Chevy Silverado hybrid and was wondering if there are any other owners here in the forum to compare experiences and/or horror stories. . . .
There was a Dept of Energy hybrid fleet report that included the Silverado. Search the messages and you'll find the URL. Their report include maintenance and operational characteristics.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 01-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

i purchased one of the first 2005 Silverado Hybrids. It has run great for 1-1/2 years. Just before new years (2007), I attempted to start it, and it wouldn't turn over. It has been in the shop for two weeks now, because first they didn't know what was wrong, then they replaced the whole sylenoid/starter unit (which requires removal of the transmission). After replacing all this, it still wouldn't start. Then I was told "since the Chevy Hybrid is so new, we don't have parts for it. Additionally, before we order the part, Detroit has to give us the ok to order".

Now I'm told that the Inverter is fried. Inverter/Battery? See a correlation there?

As soon as I get the stinking truck back, I'm going to buy something else! What is the savings on 2 mpg? Not worth it to me. Say 4 years from now, will I make up those savings on a new replacement battery?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

A quick note for others here who may not know, the Silverado Hybrid is a start/stop hybrid, no large scale battery pack to worry about in the same way that other hybrids out there does.
Can you please explain the difference between the two systems?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast

What two systems?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast

What is the difference between the 'Start stop system' and a conventional hybrid system?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

When at a stop light/sign or in park mode, the vehicles system stops working off the gasoline, and runs off the battery power. As soon as you take your foot off the brake and onto the accelerator, it kicks back into regular (gasoline power) mode.

Quick Reply: New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands