General Motors Corporation Chevrolet, GMC and Saturn hybrids

New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by fastnx
What is the difference between the 'Start stop system' and a conventional hybrid system?
Easiest way would be to contrast it with my own vehicle, which is one of the other types. The Silverado only shuts its engine down at intersections. Its electric motor is not large enough to drive the vehicle forward alone. In fact I'm not even sure if its used as an assist. There are really kind of three systems. One just shuts the truck off at intersections but other than that the engine drives the car forward... you don't loose gas idling. It saves you a little bit of gasoline but not a whole lot. Some people balk at using the word hybrid in that system... but too each his own.

The second is a series hybrid. These systems also shut off their engine at intersections. Additionally an electric motor is used to help the engine drive the vehicle forward at low speeds and when extra acceleration is needed. The engine is usually slightly smaller since it doesn't have to provide low end torque. The electric motor is too small to drive the car ahead alone.

The third is a parallel hybrid, which is what my Escape has. In this system a large battery is in the back of the vehicle. In addition to shutting the engine off at idle, the electric motor assists the engine in acceleration AND at low speeds the electric motor is capable of moving the vehicle without starting the engine at all (up to 30-35MPH). The Escape has two electric motors one of which is smaller and is also used as a generator. When stopping the electric motors are used to recapture braking energy and store it in the large battery. The next time the electric motor is used to assist it can use that energy instead of it being wasted as heat on the brakes.

None of the systems require plugging in as the battery is recharged by the engine, and possibly recaptured braking energy.

I think the Silverado is one of the first type of systems (or a combination f the first and second types of systems).... Most of the Hondas are series hybrids and the Escape and the Toyotas are parallel systems.

As you go up the scale you get better and better gas mileage, and less pollution.... with a tradeoff of a more expensive and complex system.

In in the summer in my 4WD Escape I usually average about 30MPG. In the winter that seems to be about 26-27MPG.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure what the silverado gets someone else here will have a better answer for that.

Last edited by TeeSter; 01-14-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

I get 16-18 mpg with the Silverado Hybrid. Not enough for me. Looking for a new vehicle.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by martyb
I get 16-18 mpg with the Silverado Hybrid. Not enough for me. Looking for a new vehicle.
I think thats why hybrid owners tend to not like to call the Silverado a "hybrid". The change that GM made is a good idea to the and does save gas... but not a whole lot, it tends to be 2-3MPG at best case. Those of us that would like to see hybrids take off, fear that people buying a Silverado and only seeing such a small improvement will associate hybrids with poor MPG performance and feel that all hybrids are a bunch of nonsense.

Theres nothing wrong with what GM did, it does save gas and thats a very good thing... I wish all vehicles would at least do what GM did on the silverado... but I wish they didn't call it a hybrid. Full hybrids save a alot more gas. They often fall short of the EPA estimates... but they still do better than a conventional system.

Unfortunately... I dont think anyone is making a Full hybrid pickup truck yet so if you need a pickup... The Silverado is about all you'll find. I love my Escape so if you were looking for an SUV you might want to consider it.

You could also look at diesels which will get better gas mileage...however they put out more particulates, etc....

Last edited by TeeSter; 01-15-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

I hear what you say! I know now, and am a more informed buyer. The problem is, with trucks, they don't legally have to put the vehicle MPG on the window when they sell it. So when my questions of gas mileage came up, it was "Oh, it's good".

And yes, the Silverado IS NOT A HYBRID. It's like the claim of less fattening. How much less fat? Trans fat, good fat, bad fat?

Oh well, live and learn.

By the way, I finally got my vehicle (Silverado Hybrid) back from the dealer. They called me and said it was fixed. I told them I would be by, to pick up, in about a half hour. When I showed up, I stood around for about a half hour (they said it was being washed), until a service clerk told me the guy that washed the car had inadvertantely left the premises with the keys in his pocket.

Then to top it off, I talk to the technician that worked on the car, and he tells me GM has changed all the parts (important ones for quasi-Hybrid) for 2007. Are the old ones (2005) bad?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by martyb
i purchased one of the first 2005 Silverado Hybrids. It has run great for 1-1/2 years. Just before new years (2007), I attempted to start it, and it wouldn't turn over. It has been in the shop for two weeks now, because first they didn't know what was wrong, then they replaced the whole sylenoid/starter unit (which requires removal of the transmission). After replacing all this, it still wouldn't start. Then I was told "since the Chevy Hybrid is so new, we don't have parts for it. Additionally, before we order the part, Detroit has to give us the ok to order".

Now I'm told that the Inverter is fried. Inverter/Battery? See a correlation there?

As soon as I get the stinking truck back, I'm going to buy something else! What is the savings on 2 mpg? Not worth it to me. Say 4 years from now, will I make up those savings on a new replacement battery?
Actually I think your battery is quite small. I don't think you have a large battery pack since there is no regen braking energy to store and your only electric system is really just an enlarged starter/generator. I don't think the electric assists the drive wheels at all. I think its just used to start and stop the engine at intersections so the vehicle doesn't idle.

Its a fairly basic (that has good and bad points) system. It SHOULD be pretty reliable, and pretty cheap to make. But the MPG savings aren't very large. In reality it just should be the way *ALL* conventional vehicles operate, instead of being marketed as an optional drive train.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

wow, I am shocked to read of these types of problems. Should have figgured that GM might design a vehicle that needs to have the engine pulled to replace a simple starter. I have to agree. 2 mpg is not enough to justify the added complexity. I should think that you ought to get at leasst 3 mpg improvement to cost justify the investment in money and frustration. Sounds like the Silverado system is not yet ready for prime time.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I'm not done yet. On top of that, the technician showed me everything that was done to complete the job. Remember, everything that was wrong had to do with "Hybrid" parts (Starter, inverter, etc.).
Then he proceeds to tell me that for the new 2007's, the parts are now changed (better?) and different!!! Holy moly, did I buy a lemon.
Please no posts on the "lemon law"; I know.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

I guess that is the danger of being an early adopter. I am in the market for a Hybrid right now and I am a bit wary of some of the unproven technology. Dont want to pay a premium for a vehicle that will cost more to maintain and be less reliable than what I now have.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
I guess that is the danger of being an early adopter. I am in the market for a Hybrid right now and I am a bit wary of some of the unproven technology. Dont want to pay a premium for a vehicle that will cost more to maintain and be less reliable than what I now have.
Understandable... but look around. Some of the Hondas have been out for a while, same with the Prius. There is a track record for both of them. I have an Escape with a track record as well... its not as long but the extra long warranty on any hybrid systems from Ford certainly takes some of the worry out. I've 20,000 on mine so far... no problems.

Also on the Silverado... The driveshaft probably isn't a hybrid problem.... The starter/inverter is another matter.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Banned

yeah, I really didnt have a bad feeling toward the driveshaft. I have come to expect that as normal with GM. The starter thing is pretty disturbing though.

Quick Reply: New Silverado Hybrid Owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands