10 diagnostic trouble codes. Ten! pls help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Default Re: 10 diagnostic trouble codes. Ten! pls help

Remember that the hybrid has AFM so the left and right bank spark plug will be different not the same. So rely on codes not appearance.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

OK I had not thought about that. But it was the "Black" sheep. All others looked the same/normal.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast

Chevy dealership says no compression on number one cyclinder. And they are saying the hybrid battery is weak and they would recommend replacing it along with the motor for somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k! That's of course new crate motor. I can get a used one for 2500 does it need to be hybrid specific. And if the hybrid battery dies will I still be able to drive it?

Old 05-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The engine is hybrid unique.

What do they base the battery claim upon? Codes? Snap-Shot Data?

Old 05-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast

I figured. I'm Not exactly sure. They said it wouldn't take a charge I haven't picked it up the used car lot guy is paying for diagnostics. I'll call in the am and try to talk to the tech. It won't run at all without hybrid battery right?

Old 05-26-2015, 05:08 PM

No it won't run without that. I assume yours is a 2008? If so there is a way to hook up dealer scan tool and charge through use of a large capacity 12V charger.

CAUTION: Never charge these NiMh batteries above 70%.

So by won't take a charge... you need more information.

The scan tool can take a Snap-Shot of the HV battery that will include 20 internal voltages distributed throughout the pack. A data Snap-Shot under load in electric is the best data.

So without data, all they have is an opinion about a $2500 pert.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Enthusiast

It doesn't run for more than a couple seconds so would they even have enough time to test? Yes it is a 2008 114,000 miles . should I get a second dealer opinion? Is it worth messing with engine repair? I asked if he scoped the down cylinder and the writer didn't know and it wasn't in his notes

Old 05-26-2015, 06:24 PM

If they run that HV battery down too far, you will need to replace it.

So you need a dealer that knows how to use the Jump Assist special function of the scan tool to get it charged up to about 60%.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

And that's another thing I'm worried about I can't get a straight answer if they have a hybrid certified tech I'm in Marietta Ohio, there's a dealer across the river in parkersburgh they told me that they have one tech that is certified hybrid.so its possible they ran it dead/therefore ruining it? How do you run it dead? By not performing diagnostics correctly? ... Haven't even made first payment yet purchased April 6th

Old 05-27-2015, 06:51 AM

It can be run down too low to be Service Charged ( Jump Assist ) by repeated cranking and stalling. Running it out of gas and removing the 12V battery lead to clear codes to re-crank again and again will do this too.

Once the State Of Charge SOC gets too low, the service procedure will no longer initiate.

So you need to immediately get a scan tool on this and read the voltages and SOC. Then if they will actually look up the Jump Assist procedure in service documents, they can charge it up to 50 to 60 %

If that battery gets dragged down too far, you will need that too on top of an engine.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 05-27-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 10 diagnostic trouble codes. Ten! pls help

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands