2005 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 AM
LDM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid Battery

I am a first time Chevy and hybrid owner, I got them both in one. I had the service engine light come on for a short whiel and go off. A test of it indicated hybrid battery degradation. Does anyone know about how much a 42V whatever kind of battery would cost. I love the truck but could get a little better gas mileage. I'm only getting about 2 to 3 MPG over my F150, less when my wife drives it. However she does like the larger engines power.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid Battery

I don't know much about the mild-hybrid version. I didn't think there was much MPG improvement. The main source of better mileage was the start/stop feature. Also, you get the cool 110v outlet in the bed.
As far as the battery goes, it seems to be a "battery pack", and 42V would be three 12V batteries. Yes, I understand the math doesn't work, but this is an automotive industry peculiarity. So, maybe it is just 3 car batteries strung together. I would google it and see what others are doing, as the expected life of that pack is 4-years, a lot of people should be changing them out right now.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default your vehicle is so different from ours it should have its own forum

you have a collection of lead acid batteries...the whole system is different and works differently.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/revi...lverado-hybrid

Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Interesting I wonder if the Hybrid Malibu was the save way?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Administrator

the current gm hybrid has NicCad batteries? MB comes up with the first Li-Ion battery. maybe we can have GM upgrade us to that new one. any advantages on either to those who know?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Lim-ion is lighter weight and smaller size for the same power and punch. The current battery technology has been around a long time in aviation products with successful results.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, but...

...you need different software to maintain the battery, which is non-trivial in a vehicle. Also, I don't know what the business case would be for switching it to Li-Ion.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM

I agree hard business case to make.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

I agree, no business case since we have 8 years/100k mile warranty on the batteries and hybrid components anyway. I was just thinking that maybe with a more powerful Li-Ion, the hybrid will be in EV mode longer vs only in auto-stop and low speeds.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
LDM
Enthusiast

To Whom it mmay concern,
Thank you for your replys. I learned that the Chev. batteries are about 206.00 a peace, three needed and are covered by Chev.'s warranty to 100,000 miles no matter who owns the vehicle. I took my Silverado on a trip to FL. I'm getting 20 highway and 18 city. The system seems to only help with the city MPG. To whom sent me the nasty reply I apoligize and did not mean to offend you. I will do as you request as soon as I learn how to remove my name. If in the middle Al district you will be welcome at Liberty Baptist, Paster Clay.

Quick Reply: 2005 Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid Battery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands