2008 Tahoe Hybrid- To keep or return, that is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Or have your 300v battery replaced because it's a hybrid?

Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Tahoe Hybrid- To keep or return, that is the question!

Hey!

I did keep the Tahoe. For the most part I believe it was the right choice.

I recently had the oil pressure loss which I'm trying to find enough information to do the repair myself. Does anyone know if it's similar to the 5.3l repair? I looked in that area and didn't see a similar part, but it was real quick at sundown so could've missed it. I am going to switch it to full amsoil as well and with that am going to flush the engine to take out any sludge.

Hopefully related to above, but likely related to AFM issues Im hearing about - I am getting puffs of blue smoke on startup after I do long drives on the highway. The only other thing is I heard the PVC could be the culprit or something with the intake manifold. I'll keep searching but if anyone has advice on this to narrow it down it'd much appreciated!

I believe it maybe a fuse problem but the only car charging/cig lighter port that works is the driver. Passenger and one in rear doesn't work. Any common fix for these? The manual made it sound like one fuse runs all of them and haven't had the time to pull everything one by one.

Last edited by Pelov008; 03-26-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

My Hybrid used a bit of oil and smoked on startup after long highway trips also. I checked and there is a tech bulletin on oil consumption that recommends replacing the drivers side valve cover(which contains the PVC orifice) The original on may cause excess oil spray from the rocker arms to be sucked in the intake thru the PVC. I found my intake with puddled oil in it so I replaced the valve cover and Voila, no oil consumption, no smoke on startup, and no oil in intake. Bulletin #10-06-01-008M, Valve cover which includes gasket and bolts: GM 12570427 for 2007-2008, GM 12642655 for 2009-2011. The last one cost me $58 at my dealer with a discount, very easy to change.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Awesome! That's a lot of help and for that cheap of a fix definitely worth a try! I appreciate the advice!

To anyone else reading this, so far I have been really impressed with this vehicle. Even in the dead of winter I was getting 18-19mpg all purpose which is a tad more than the MDX was getting, granted I didn't baby the MDX, but with the tahoe offering a much better quality interior mixed with the extra space i definitely put it as a win in my books! Now that it's warmer I am getting over 30's regularly.

If you guys have any advice on the cigarette lighters not working on the passenger side nor in the back that'd be great. It's raining today so prolly will try and tackle it this week. Also if anyone has advice on doing the oil sender screen repair, I'm going back and forth on whether to take it in to an independent (300 bucks with parts) or just doing it myself. My worry is that I have large hands and from the videos on the 5.3l it looks tight so just wanted personal experiences.

Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

So is the oil pressure an intermittent problem or constant? If constant then the screen and sending unit replacement should fix it, but if intermittent it may be a wiring, gauge, or as on my case, the body computer was not programmed right after a replacement and caused a communication error, causing the oil pressure to drop to zero sometimes after running 20 minutes or so.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

It is intermittent. When it starts its around 50-60 psi. It'll settle around 40 shortly after and then as I'm driving will bounce around 25-30psi. Once this winter it went down to 0 and the warning came on so I pulled over but oil was fine and by the time I rrstarted it went back to normal.

I think it's the screen getting clogged, I just don't know how the repair differs from our 5.3L brothern

Old 03-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Administrator

It had Autostop so 0 psi is normal.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

It was while the car was in motion on the highway so no auto stop

Last edited by Pelov008; 03-31-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pelov008
Hey!

I did keep the Tahoe. For the most part I believe it was the right choice.

I recently had the oil pressure loss which I'm trying to find enough information to do the repair myself. Does anyone know if it's similar to the 5.3l repair? I looked in that area and didn't see a similar part, but it was real quick at sundown so could've missed it. I am going to switch it to full amsoil as well and with that am going to flush the engine to take out any sludge.

Hopefully related to above, but likely related to AFM issues Im hearing about - I am getting puffs of blue smoke on startup after I do long drives on the highway. The only other thing is I heard the PVC could be the culprit or something with the intake manifold. I'll keep searching but if anyone has advice on this to narrow it down it'd much appreciated!

I believe it maybe a fuse problem but the only car charging/cig lighter port that works is the driver. Passenger and one in rear doesn't work. Any common fix for these? The manual made it sound like one fuse runs all of them and haven't had the time to pull everything one by one.
Pelov,
I live in the northwest suburbs of Minneapolis, and even though it's a drive I've had great luck with Ryan chev out in Buffalo, mn. I had exactly the issue you speak of, first with oil pressure loss which ended up being a plugged filter under the oil pressure sender (afm motor common issue, there are threads here about it) then later smoke on startup which was the lifters were toast because they'd been starved of oil from the plugged filter. they have stood behind their work, and have correctly diagnosed more than a few issues. They replaced my cam, lifters, vvt actuator, rebuilt heads, and I had them clean out the oil pan at 110k miles when one of the lifters they'd replaced at 90k froze up and made a mess of things. I will send any hybrid that way, and I will be buying my next truck from them. Plus free loaners!
pm me if you want contact info; I'd be happy to share what I've learned. Owned a 2008 yukon hybrid since 2011 ish, at about 145k miles on it now.

Last edited by Dslade05; 04-20-2015 at 10:56 AM.