Chevy Tahoe Hybrid Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Chevy Tahoe Hybrid Forum

Hi Green in Rockwall. I'm actually in North Garland, and head out 66 to Rowlett at least once a week for my daughter's piano lessons. You'll often see it parked at the Forest/Jupiter Dart station. Mine's white. I drive to work a couple days a week down Skillman towards Cityplace.

A few questions for those of you who own one...
1. Do you know anything about the emergency tire inflation system? I ran over an allen wrench in the Walmart parking lot today which resulted in a flat. Fortunately I was right across the street from Discount tire, who repaired it for me. I'm concerned about being without a spare.
I'm surprised your dealer didn't show it to you. I've never used it, but checked it out before. It is on the driver's side of the cargo area under the cup-holders. It is a decent sized air compressor with an integrated can of sealant (think fix-a-flat). There are 2 hoses - one for sealant and one for just air. Just hook it up like you would a portable air compressor. I would suggest using just air first to see if it holds before putting the sealant in. Especially if you are close to a place to get fixed. You can also call Chevy's road-side assistance, but like AAA, you might have to wait a while.

2. How does the system decide whether it will be 4 or 8 cylinder?
It is based on engine load. I find that it drops into 4cyl pretty easily if you let up off the gas a bit once you get to speed. Prius drivers should be familiar with the feel; there is no real equivalent to gliding, but my leg is already trained. You can even let off the gas, then re-engage gently to get the same effect - think an egg between your foot and the pedal. I've pulled long gradual includes staying in 4cyl without losing speed. Just play around and keep one eye on the instantaneous MPG and engine mode display (while driving carefully!) Good luck and have fun.

Tom H in Dallas (Garland)

Old 06-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Though we really need a better abbreviation, CTH seems like a typo of TCH, Toyota Camry Hybrid. TaHy? (Much like the Highlander Hybrids HiHy)
I vote for CT2MH? Mainly because the 2-mode designation is an important distinction when discussing Chevy's loose use of the word hybrid.

Tom H in Dallas

Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tijbbari
I vote for CT2MH? Mainly because the 2-mode designation is an important distinction when discussing Chevy's loose use of the word hybrid.

Tom H in Dallas
Okay, I vote for the CT2MH with Tom.

One of my co-workers agrees with Pravus: TaHy is not bad. But which syllable gets the accent when you phoneticize it? :-)

As to Green in Rockwell’s question. I used sealant and a compressor as part of a kit about 20 years ago. It works, as long as you get the hole down where the sealant can flow through it. I still had a slow leak, but it got me home. Since then, I have always carried a small nose plier and a plug kit. I have used a plug + glue with a compressor on 3 occasions with excellent success. I purchased the plug kit at Wal-Mart (I think). Maybe the sealant is better now. I transferred the plug kit and pliers from the old Land Rover to the Tahoe the first night I got it home.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:43 AM
Enthusiast

I do not think that the abbreviation requires the "2M" because there is no other type of tahoe hybrid.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Well, I've done what I can. I got the forum renamed for you guys, so this can be your "home". The database will be going through a major upgrade, so when that happens the newer hybrids will be added. In the mean time, I think your best bet is to do as some of you already have done, and add your vehicle to the non-hybrid database, that way it's all tracked and after the update, you can just transfer the tanks. I wish I could be of more help, but we've got to work with what we've got.

Off Topic, but during my test drive of the Yukon Hybrid, I found I was able to spend a majority of my city driving in V4 mode by using the "Fake Shift" technique, where you accelerate, take your foot off the pedal, then reapply pressure. If you don't reapply too hard, you'll find that after your initial acceleration, you can drive and even accelerate (mildly) in V4 mode to cruise and whatnot right off the bat, which of course, saves fuel.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-15-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM
04 prius 350,000km

questions about the tahoe hybrid

1. can someone elaborate the economy gauge? what's the instant MPG readout when its pegged to the green area? when your using regenerative braking does the needle swing indicate how much power is being captured?

2. does putting the transmission in N turn off the engine? can one have a coasting neutral state without using the N if one wants to stay in D EV mode?

3. On a cold start if you were to start the car and stay in P, how long would it take for the engine to shut off? Additionally if the engine is warm and the suv is turned on how would the time decrease? Or would it shut off immediately?

4. If your going downhill and your speed is higher than 30 miles per hour ( which i believe is the cutoff speed for the EV mode) does the instant MPG readout reads infinate? Or is fuel consumed no matter what above 30 miles per hour? Unless it spins the ICE with the electric motor with no spark or fuel at above those speeds?

5. what type of oil weight does the vortec accept? Does the owner manual allow 0w-20?

6. Can you really fit 8 people in there? So to fill a 20 + gallon tank only nets 500 miles? Sounds pretty expensive

maybe one day on the used market thanks for the questions!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philmcneal
questions about the tahoe hybrid

1. can someone elaborate the economy gauge? what's the instant MPG readout when its pegged to the green area? when your using regenerative braking does the needle swing indicate how much power is being captured?
The key is to keep it centered. Further from center, the worse off you are. If you brake hard, it goes left. If you accelerate hard, it goes right. Instant MPG could be as low as 1 or 2 under hard acceleration. I have not hooked up any gauges to measure regen rate with respect to gauge position. I think if you get out of the center zone, though, you are adding a lot of mechanical braking / wasting the regen. Regen olone does not slow the Tahoe as much as a Prius. Something about mass of an object in motion or some such.

2. does putting the transmission in N turn off the engine? can one have a coasting neutral state without using the N if one wants to stay in D EV mode?
During start-up, N will not shut off the engine. If the engine is warm and the battery is sufficiently charged, you can sit in P or N or D with the brakes on for a long time with the engine off. There is no equivalent to the Prius neutral coasting state (no arrows to or from battery) that I have been able to reproduce. The battery state is not displayed on the Tahoe, so you can't anticipate when the engine might have to turn on to recharge the batteries. I have never tried using N while driving.

3. On a cold start if you were to start the car and stay in P, how long would it take for the engine to shut off? Additionally if the engine is warm and the suv is turned on how would the time decrease? Or would it shut off immediately?
It stays on until it comes to operating temperature. I've not sat in the car with a stop watch, but on cold mornings it might run constantly for more than 5 minutes. Hot starts on a hot day, it turns off in a few seconds - often before I get around to putting it in gear. There is no 7 second delay like on the prius, the engine starts when you start the car, then the engine stops when it can. One other quirk, the engine always runs when in reverse. This probably is important when backing a trailer down a boat ramp, but I don't drive around in reverse enough that I consider it a major hit. Backing out of a parking spot during warm-up, it is inconsequential. It annoys me the most when I've driven though my neighborhood in EV, then it kicks on as I back into my driveway.

4. If your going downhill and your speed is higher than 30 miles per hour ( which i believe is the cutoff speed for the EV mode) does the instant MPG readout reads infinate? Or is fuel consumed no matter what above 30 miles per hour? Unless it spins the ICE with the electric motor with no spark or fuel at above those speeds?
The engine will cut off while coasting downhill in D, even above 30 miles per hour. I presume the ICE spins with no spark/fuel - similar to when it drops from V8 to V4. You can also drop it into lower gears (M1-M4) which is like the Prius B mode, so that you can use engine braking. I use this a lot in the mountains. Instant MPG is still good, but not the magic 99 of engine stop. To be honest, I'm usually watching the road, not the gauges under these conditions.

5. what type of oil weight does the vortec accept? Does the owner manual allow 0w-20?
I rode the train to work today, so I don't have the manual with me. I don't think it prohibits 0w-20, but recommendations are in the more conventional range. I'm getting my first change on Friday at the dealer, so I'll see what they offer. In Texas in the summer, 5w-20 or 5w-30 is typical at most places.

6. Can you really fit 8 people in there? So to fill a 20 + gallon tank only nets 500 miles? Sounds pretty expensive
maybe one day on the used market thanks for the questions!
Five adults can ride very comfortably. The middle seat is roomier than a conventional Tahoe due to the Hybrid specific front seats. The third row seat is very cramped if you have long legs (there is not a 'foot well' below the level or the cargo floor like my old suburban because of the location of the battery pack. I'm not sure if this is typical of all Tahoes or not.) Three young kids will fit fine in the back, but anyone over about 5 foot tall would be uncomfortable for a long trip. NO more than 2 adults could actually fit in the third row. The seat is deep, but there is not much height over the floor. Yes, it is pretty expensive, but better than filling up the 42 gallon tank on my old suburban. I've been filling up at 1/3 of a tank (~17 gallons) so that I don't have to stop and re-scan my card when the pump stops at $75 to put in the last couple of gallons.

Hope this helps,

Tom H in Dallas.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Contributor ($)

Sooooo....any of you CTH owners considering a trip to Madison in July for Hybridfest?
I'd love to see how you do on the Hybridfest MPG Challenge!
I know we will have at least one other competitor in one.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I won't be able to go.

I want to clarify my answer from above. I was playing around and using the Hybrid video screen yesterday and it appears I remember incorrectly what happens. (I don not like the viedo screen as much as the Prius, mainly becasue it does not show battery charge state. It does not help me anticipate the car's behavior as far as when the ICE will turn on/off.)

Quote:
The engine will cut off while coasting downhill in D, even above 30 miles per hour. I presume the ICE spins with no spark/fuel - similar to when it drops from V8 to V4. You can also drop it into lower gears (M1-M4) which is like the Prius B mode, so that you can use engine braking. I use this a lot in the mountains. Instant MPG is still good, but not the magic 99 of engine stop. To be honest, I'm usually watching the road, not the gauges under these conditions.
When coasting downhill above 30mph in D, the engine does not cut off. It continues to run in V4 mode according to the LCD display. The video display shows the ICE in orange, with no arrows, but shows white regen arrows from wheels to the battery. Tach is at 1000, which is normal at idle. It generally shows 99mpg instant mileage, although at times it drops (to 75-85ish mpg) as you start braking.

TH

Old 06-20-2008, 06:42 PM
04 prius 350,000km

yo tijbbari i godda hand it you, you have answered almost everything I wanted to know about the tahoe hybrid! i quoted you on cleanmpg http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...615#post110615 so just letting you know you've been helpful

i hope your enjoying your big monster ride as I would love one if it was given to me trying to win the RBC drive a tahoe hybrid home contest atm! lol

ps for one tank you should try upping your psi to 44 and see if you can stand the ride quality but hopefully milk more mpg? i mean they are low rollling resisitance tires after all

Last edited by philmcneal; 06-20-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Chevy Tahoe Hybrid Forum

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands