Excessive play in driver seat

Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Excessive play in driver seat

i'm a proud new owner of a 2009 Yukon Hybrid and i LOVE it. It gets much better MPG than my silverado, but then again my Silverado has over 450hp/500tq, gas saving is the last thing on my mind when i drive that.

Anyway, i didn't notice the seat when i test drove the vehicle, but now after a few hundred miles i'm noticing that the driver side seat has some excessive play. When i accelerate quickly it will "shift" backwards, a hard stop it will "move/shift" forwards and sometimes "click", also hard turns left or right will cause the seat to shift in the opposite direction (centrifugal force). I tightened down all the bolts, but no luck. A search on the internet showed that older Chevy and GM trucks had an issue where the shims fell out of the track causing seat shift. i couldn't find anything recent.

anyone else run into this issue? i'm hoping my extended warranty will cover the repair and just give me a new seat.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Excessive play in driver seat

yes! have it fixed. it is a safety issue.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
yes! have it fixed. it is a safety issue.
is that a "yes" you're familiar with it? or "yes" you agree it's a PITA.

can you elaborate? did you have the same issue? what caused it? what fixed it?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by IslandCre8tion
is that a "yes" you're familiar with it? or "yes" you agree it's a PITA. can you elaborate? did you have the same issue? what caused it? what fixed it?
Yes I agree. Don't have that issue unfortunately. I'm sure it's something that can be tightened.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IslandCre8tion
I'm a proud new owner of a 2009 Yukon Hybrid and i LOVE it. It gets much better MPG than my silverado, but then again my Silverado has over 450hp/500tq, gas saving is the last thing on my mind when i drive that.

Anyway, i didn't notice the seat when i test drove the vehicle, but now after a few hundred miles I'm noticing that the driver side seat has some excessive play. When i accelerate quickly it will "shift" backwards, a hard stop it will "move/shift" forwards and sometimes "click", also hard turns left or right will cause the seat to shift in the opposite direction (centrifugal force). I tightened down all the bolts, but no luck. A search on the internet showed that older Chevy and GM trucks had an issue where the shims fell out of the track causing seat shift. i couldn't find anything recent.

anyone else run into this issue? I'm hoping my extended warranty will cover the repair and just give me a new seat.
The Seats in the Hybrid are definitely less robust than in it's non-hybrid counterpart, most likely to save weight.
I have had this issue in my 2009 Hybrid Tahoe since practically day one if the seat is all the way back and all the way down, by moving the seat a hair forward and a hair up the seat stabilizes for the most part. I had the seat replaced under warranty early on and the issue returned almost immediately, thank god warranty paid for the insanely costly seat which solved nothing.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hybrid-theory
The Seats in the Hybrid are definitely less robust than in it's non-hybrid counterpart, most likely to save weight. I have had this issue in my 2009 Hybrid Tahoe since practically day one if the seat is all the way back and all the way down, by moving the seat a hair forward and a hair up the seat stabilizes for the most part. I had the seat replaced under warranty early on and the issue returned almost immediately, thank god warranty paid for the insanely costly seat which solved nothing.
I'm sure it's the same seat.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The Esky and Denali are luxury models and had power rear gates, running boards, and other similar content to non-hybrids.

Standard Tahoe and Yukons had the lighter different seats.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
I'm sure it's the same seat.
could be but it looked like a new one to me and it took them like two weeks to get it.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
The Esky and Denali are luxury models and had power rear gates, running boards, and other similar content to non-hybrids.

Standard Tahoe and Yukons had the lighter different seats.
I have owned and driven a non-hybrid Escalade(2008), a non-hybrid Denali(2009) and a non-hybrid regular(non-denali) Yukon XL(2012), the seat in my 2009 Hybrid Tahoe is definitely much different than all of the others, it is much less padded, less supple, lower quality leather, and appears to be lighter/ less robust frame and assembly components. I assume to conserve weight.

I drove the Yukon XL and the Hybrid Tahoe on the same day for several months and the difference was very noticeable. I actually considered finding an Escalade/Denail at the bone yard to switch out the driver seat but then realized it wouldn't be close in matching the rest of the seats, changing them all out would be prohibitively expensive, even from the bone yard.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

sounds like it's a common problem. i'll still have the dealer look at it, under warranty of course, and best case scenario is i get new seats without issues. I'll try moving the one i have no around a bit and see if it can tighten up.

thanks all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive play in driver seat

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands