idle issue need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default idle issue need help

new here...
i have a 2008 tahoe (bought about two months ago with 98,000 miles). i have recently noticed a few things:
1) does not always go to auto off position while at a complete stop
2) sometimes the car idles high while at a complete stop (rpm gage between 2 and 3000)
3) battery makes a loud blowing sound from under the middle seat
4) car seems to be delayed from a full stop and sort of surges forward when i press on the gas
5) there have been a few instances where the car revs up while i am not pressing more on the gas, sometimes even while i am slowing down.

i am not sure if there are issues with switching from gas to electric, or if the high idle/no auto stop is because the battery is still trying to charge.
i have taken it to a dealership and there are no fault codes and no SES light.
the dealership said everything looks the way it is supposed to and has run well during their test drives.
are some of these issues normal? appreciate any help, thank you.

Attached Thumbnails idle issue need help-img_1486.jpg   idle issue need help-img_1488.jpg   idle issue need help-img_1491.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: idle issue need help

Your HV battery may be too warm from obstructed air flow. There is a wire mesh intake screen on the driver's side that can become plugged with lint just like a clothes dryer lint screen. You have to flip up the middle row seat and remove the carpeted HV battery cover to inspect that.

A hot battery causes all sorts of odd behavior since the power you can put in or take out is severely limited. There is also a black plastic duct that comes out and goes down into under the floor. That battery needs good air flow.

Aside from that, these will not always Auto-Stop at a light.

The dealer scan tool can read the battery pack internal temperature sensors. They can also command the cooling fan speed to check for good air flow.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 05-23-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

thank you for that, i will get into it later today

Old 05-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
Your HV battery may be too warm from obstructed air flow. There is a wire mesh intake screen on the driver's side that can become plugged with lint just like a clothes dryer lint screen. You have to flip up the middle row seat and remove the carpeted HV battery cover to inspect that.

A hot battery causes all sorts of odd behavior since the power you can put in or take out is severely limited. There is also a black plastic duct that comes out and goes down into under the floor. That battery needs good air flow.

Aside from that, these will not always Auto-Stop at a light.

The dealer scan tool can read the battery pack internal temperature sensors. They can also command the cooling fan speed to check for good air flow.
thanks alot, havent test driven it yet, was completly clogged

Attached Thumbnails idle issue need help-img_1735.jpg   idle issue need help-img_1736.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That will make it run hot.

Please let us know if it is better.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 05-24-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lelyle
Did this work

Old 10-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lelyle
Having the same issue. Did cleaning the vents work?