Jolt, Lurch, Chug

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Jolt, Lurch, Chug

jimr,

This is the first time I can recall having any issue with the power steering. The fact that she lost power to the brakes as well, it seems the same as if a car stalled and you lost power to your hydraulics. But the engine was still running.....wasn't even in auto-stop.

Long story short, this is a new one for me, and I'm not even sure it's related to the hesitation issue this post started with.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PBRLives
Hi everyone, it's the '08 Yukon owner with about 115-120K now. Time to give an update, because I've had a related issue.

So, from last time, the small oil leak was due to the oil filter not being tight enough. User error. Also, bit the bullet and recently bought new tires instead of selling. So, go figure I'm here to report a new issue.

The old issue is still there to an extent. Still hesitates at takeoff sometimes, but no where near as bad as it used to be. Usually during TX summer months.

So, now that we just got the "arctic blast" last night, which is 30 degrees for Texans, it was strange that something happened to my wife.

At a stop sign, pushed the gas pedal, and nothing worked. Engine was still running (not in auto-stop mode), no movement, plus the check power steering light came on, and sure enough, she had no power steering, plus no brakes. Basically as if the system shut down. But the engine was running....

Taking it into the dealership tomorrow, and they do freeze frame the data to send to GM, so I might be able to get that info.

Tried quickly scanning for threads at work this morning, but not enough time. All I could find was that my hybrid battery might be going? If anyone has links to power steering issues on GM truck hybrids, please pass them along.

Oh, and of course, once she turned everything off/on, it worked like normal. It's now sitting in our garage and I'm out of a car.

Will let you know what I find out. Any helpful hints in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.
pull some codes. it can be anything, hybrid battery, fuel pump but never the electric power steering. btw, do you have a new 12V battery?

Old 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimr5454
I havant had any of those issues but i have had the power steering feel a little rough in the first five minutes of driving at first start up of the day ??? But at. 137,000 miles id like to stay ahead of any issues which is y im responding wondering if your issue srarted out like mine .???
power steering should not be an issue.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

The 12V battery isn't all that old, but it's not brand new either. What's your theory.

Will have them pull codes tomorrow, hopefully. And I'm hopeful he can just CC me on the email he sends in to GM Tech, so I can have those codes to share.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Codes and Freeze Frames will really help. While you are in there you might want to have a look at the HV battery air inlet screen for "lint" build up. Air cooled battery, lower flow, odd behavior when hot outside.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 11-12-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Hello there, I'm experience exact same thing like you, my wife is driving the 08 hybrid yukon, and I have take it to the dealer so many times, because the dead 2-3 sec and all the sodden it takes off,to the point that I'm afraid to hit some one.
Please advice what they did to the hybrid system to tell them now that I have it in the the 2nd opinion dealer becouse the one I usually took they denied to check my suv, they estate that the tech was loosing too much time on my yukon while they could be checking other vehicles ( I fell like my truck was a piece of crap) but I did take it to a different dealer so they are going to tell me tomorrow what could be the problem whit the hybrid.
God bless you guys.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
I'm sorry to see that you all have been experiencing this! DVSSRT8 & PBRLives, please don't hesitate to send me a private message if you would like me to get in touch with your dealerships on your behalf and work towards a resolution.

In the meantime, I've documented this thread's URL where the appropriate GM teams can view it.

Best,

Katie
GM Customer Service
Hi katie, where can I send you my paperwork, my suv is in the shop now, but I'm experiencing the issue whit the rpm going crazy, dead time during the time I'm getting to a stop sing or to a red light, and I'm really concerned because my wife is pregnant + 3 daughters, so I'm really, really upset, whit this situation, not to mention the amount of times I have been wasting my time, because they have done all kinds of things to accomplish this issue, but I haven't had any luck!!!!

Last edited by Jolo; 09-30-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Jolo. Looks like I haven't updated in a while.....145K miles.

The quick answer is that it was the auxiliary transmission pump. There's a technical service bulletin in one of the threads that described my situation perfectly. Just make sure they don't replace it with the original, as happened to me the first time. Also, make sure your issue matches with the TSB, as it was the best description of the problem I ever saw.

For those interested, I had to bite the bullet on a new hybrid battery, at 118K miles. Luckily, the good dealership was able to work with the price, given it was relatively close to the warranty expiration. Not sure how they measure these things, but the old one couldn't charge more than 60%.

Interestingly, the power steering issue was related to that, as they described the brakes and PS as an electrical issue tied to the hybrid battery. Long story short, that seemed to solve that particular issue.

But, last week I got no response when I pushed on the gas from a stop again......fun times.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have had the same issues for a few months now. Kept fighting with the dealer.
Talked to the owner of the dealership and finally got them to replace the battery under warranty (95k). I just started driving it, but I hope it solved my issues.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:46 AM
Enthusiast

I have the same problem did you replace the trans.. control module? Thanks

In any case, no they didn't replace the controller that time, but that sure was what the codes indicated this time. Having successfully replaced the controller,

Last edited by KeRiMiHu; 12-04-2015 at 12:49 AM. Reason: no question

Quick Reply: Jolt, Lurch, Chug

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands