Looking To Purchase 08 Yukon Hybrid - Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Looking To Purchase 08 Yukon Hybrid - Need Advice!

Hello!

Fist off, I am new to the forums and new to GM. I have never owned an GM so I am reaching out to the community for advice and recommendations.

Currently, I own a 2014 BMW and 2014 VW. With our family growing and the need for more vehicle space, the Yukon would suit the needs. I am seeking a used Yukon as it will help keep down the cost of one vehicle; limiting us to one new car payment for the time being. The plan is to trade in the VW and or sell it to basically break even (based on the appraised value, I have about $2,000 negative equity).

I found one 2008 Yukon in my price range and it is a hybrid with 81,352 miles.

I would like some advice and your thoughts on the vehicles I am interested it. I am planning to look at the vehicle tomorrow. Is there anything I should check or look for? How long can this vehicle last if it is well maintained?

I spoke with a sales man at the Cadillac dealer, and he told me he would not drive an American made car over 100k. Too many things happen and they are unreliable...is he right?

Here is the car: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...91200060&Log=0

Old 03-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking To Purchase 08 Yukon Hybrid - Need Advice!

So a "man at a Cadillac dealer said"? Sales guy or random person? Ther is no warranty so any unforseen repair will be on you and many dealers still believe in magic not physics with the newer technology.

A new high voltage battery $2500 to $3000 depending on dealer.

A new engine over $5k. The hybrid transmission unit if it has gone this far will go 200,000 plus.

Then there are all the other old-vehicle items like door locks, 12V battery, headlamps, schocks...

2008 was a first year and I usually shy away from "first year" anything especially early in sequence VINs.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
So a "man at a Cadillac dealer said"? Sales guy or random person? Ther is no warranty so any unforseen repair will be on you and many dealers still believe in magic not physics with the newer technology.

A new high voltage battery $2500 to $3000 depending on dealer.

A new engine over $5k. The hybrid transmission unit if it has gone this far will go 200,000 plus.

Then there are all the other old-vehicle items like door locks, 12V battery, headlamps, schocks...

2008 was a first year and I usually shy away from "first year" anything especially early in sequence VINs.

That's my 2 cents.
Thanks for the input. Yes, it was the sales person at Cadillac. He told me to purchase an import SUV over American Made. He only trusts them if there is a warranty.

Gesh, I didn't realize the battery costs that much. How often to they last?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The battery is almost the exact same as a Prius only the GM version has 6 more 7.2V cells.So the GM version has more voltage and capacity than Prius. Both are made by Panasonic and many parts in the HV battery are interchangeable with Toyota Prius.

HV battery should go 10 years and 250,000. It may out lase the engine as in some Prius.

So if a Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV has 90,000 miles and a GM Yukon Hybrid the same, the Toyota battery chemistry is BETTER? When both the modules, the important part are EXACTY the same Panasonic part?

Tell that to tha Cadillac Sales guy.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 03-21-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Administrator

If you buy a GM hybrid cadillac or not the guy probably haven't heard of my 2009 escalade hybrid that I traded for the new escalade platinum. That hybrid escalade had 195k miles and was trouble free. It drives just like the day I bought it new back in sept 2009. Unlike my Honda Pilot that although it also has 217k miles drives and looks like it has 217k miles. So, import vs USA? I think my escalade wins this hands down and no surprise somebody picked it up from the dealer in less that a week. Miss that hybrid already.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

GM Trucks and SUV's are among the most reliable high mileage vehicles out there. Just sold my 165,000 mile Tahoe which had never had any work other than brake pads. Bought a 120,000 mile Yukon Hybrid without hesitation. My fathers 2000 Silverado has 220,000 miles and never has had any work other than oil changes and brakes, 1 time. My Hybrid, Love it, and I am not worried about it. The caddy sales guys doesn't know squat.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

All thank you for the feedback and information. I am going to see the Yukon today. I called my local Checy/GMC dealers to obtain information. The HV battery runs $3,100. I spoke with the service departments and was told that not all dealers are authorized to work on the hybrid SUVs. Each dealer I spoke with told me they have hardly seen the Hybrid SUVs in except for regular maintenance. In adiaiton, they mentioned that there were only a few hybrids made, so there are not many out on the road. This means one of three things: no one is taking them to the dealer, they never have issues, or they are being serviced some where besides the dealer.

I also found a 2009 Flexfuel Suburban with 101,000 for a little cheaper. It has tow hooks in the front and back. Not sure which one to purchase if they both pan out. The Suburban does not have backup cam or navigation, or DVD for back, but the Hybrid does. The 3rd row seat is missing out of the Suburban (it was in the owners shed that burned down). The guy told me it will cost $500-1000 for the seats. Both vehicles are one-owners. However, if I planned to every tow, the Suburban would be better as I was told you cannot tow with a Hybrid (doesn't have the power).

One thing that is weird about the Yukon is the door locks were replaced multiple times. Check out the carfax : http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W

Last edited by Curlyp; 03-25-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Administrator

The hybrid has the same towing power as the regular GM truck. Search this forum.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evois
The hybrid has the same towing power as the regular GM truck. Search this forum.
Thanks. After looking, it seems it can. I was just passing on the information that was provided to me.

One interesting thing on the Carfax was the door looks having to be replaced. Is there an issue with Yukon door locks?

Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Curlyp
Thanks. After looking, it seems it can. I was just passing on the information that was provided to me. One interesting thing on the Carfax was the door looks having to be replaced. Is there an issue with Yukon door locks?
It's a common problem in all GM and other manufacturers alike. I think they fix the problem after that.

Quick Reply: Looking To Purchase 08 Yukon Hybrid - Need Advice!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands