new member question

Old 01-31-2015, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default new member question

Hi all... Ive been lurking and reading for a while, but I wanted to post a question regarding an issue I'm facing.

I have an 09 Tahoe Hybrid, with about 96K on the clock. Two weeks ago, I was leaving Costco with my daughter, and I started the truck and received a message stating "service battery system" and "service power steering". I experienced a complete loss of power steering, but the engine started no problem. I maneuvered to a parking space where I could get towed, and started the process of getting the tow out there. About half a hour later, I restarted the truck, and it started just fine, with no messages, and the power steering was restored. Replaced battery and leads, thought I was in the clear.

Wife driving the vehicle two days, ago, starts it, same message, same loss of power steering. Wait about 30 minutes, problem corrected.

This is my wife's primary mode of transport, shes also pregnant and we have a 2 year old, so I do not want to get her stranded. Im fearful of going to the dealership and getting the old "theres nothing wrong with it and we couldn't replicate the error" song and dance. The weather both days was in the high 40s low 50s...this is Atlanta after all.

Im hoping someone has had some experience with this and may be able to point me in the right direction as far as a cause and possible fix! Thanks!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Is it 4wd? I got the same message when I was flipping the 4wd selector while the engine was stopped. Other than that I think it was an emission EGR issue. Since you still have 96k miles, it still has the hybrid warranty up to 100k miles. Take a pic of the error message and bring it to the dealer.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: new member question

It isnt 4wd... but I actually did not know that much of the hybrid system was still warrantied! Thank you so so much for that info! Taking a picture of the issue will be difficult because it happens sporadically and then seems to clear itself...but thanks again!!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gkarl
It isnt 4wd... but I actually did not know that much of the hybrid system was still warrantied! Thank you so so much for that info! Taking a picture of the issue will be difficult because it happens sporadically and then seems to clear itself...but thanks again!!
Make sure you take a pic with your phone so you can show it to your closest dealer. Since it's almost close to end of warranty, have them do a full diagnostics with printout, including the hybrid system. Make sure its a dealer that services hybrids!

The hybrid warranty is 8 years/100k miles.

Last edited by evois; 02-01-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have the dealer read and record any and ALL codes. Do not simply clear first and see what comes back. Then the dealer needs to do a 5 minute search in the Service Data Base for any Bulletins regarding the codes and symptoms.

As evois said the printout of the diagnostics is very important. Don't let anyone just "guess" on this complexvehicle system.

What was the outside temperature when this happened? The dealer needs to include that in the Bulletin search.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Check 12 volt battery, regardless of age, load test it. My 2009 Hybrid Tahoe experienced almost the exact same symptoms both times the 12 volt battery was getting weak. I believe The symptoms are intermittent because the 300V battery somehow "Charges" the 12V battery when the key is turned to the on position. If the 12V battery is weak the computers behave very erratically.
If you have a weak 12v battery and leave anything plugged in(GPS, radar detector, phone cord, Etc) while the vehicle is parked, that will exacerbate the issue.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Enthusiast

I got something in the mail from GM about extending the warranty to 110,000 for certain situations. Just a heads up.