Planning to Add Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Planning to Add Alternator

Hello All,
I am planning to add an alternator to power multiple amps in my HyHoe. From what I have been able to find I think I can likely get the gas versions alt mount bracket and bolt that in. There appears to by bolt holes in the engine block for this and I can't see why Chevy would have created a separate cast for HyHoe engines. My issues that are concerning me is there is currently a pulley on a mount in the location the alt would be. Is that a place holder for the alternator? The second would be do we think the offset would stay the same for the alternator? I am trying to figure this out before dumping a bunch of money in this I have already ordered the alt mount bracket so we will see if that works. Any comments from anyone who have any idea or experience or just want to chime in would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Planning to Add Alternator

How many amps are you running? I have been running a fairly high powered amp for awhile without any negative affects. I was a bit nervous doing this but it seemed to have worked.

My other truck, Expedition, I put a 370 amp Mechman alternator in. When I first purchased this truck, I thought of doing the same as you, but I ended up wiring up, and installing, and it's been working for nearly a year.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AverageGuy
How many amps are you running? I have been running a fairly high powered amp for awhile without any negative affects. I was a bit nervous doing this but it seemed to have worked.

My other truck, Expedition, I put a 370 amp Mechman alternator in. When I first purchased this truck, I thought of doing the same as you, but I ended up wiring up, and installing, and it's been working for nearly a year.

3 amps. One 400 watt for mids and highs and to 1500's for subs. I was getting dimming on the lights severely when running a JL HD 900/5 powering mids and a sub. I really think the alt would be easy to do assuming the gas version mount fits. I ordered one and will see if it fits without modification. Im hoiping yes. Then I am going to get the mechman 370 as well. Heard great things about them and I think Hybrids are perfect for systems if this works because the audio electric would be totally independent of the cars electrical which reduces all kinds of worries. At least to me.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The "solid state" alternator on that beast is capable of over 160 amps at any engine speed even off. Take a look at the gage of the red wire coming out of it under the hood just below and behind the air cleaner.

If you can harvest all the brackets, pulleys, belt and tensioner from another 6.0l, you can install an alternator. But you don't need to.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
The "solid state" alternator on that beast is capable of over 160 amps at any engine speed even off. Take a look at the gage of the red wire coming out of it under the hood just below and behind the air cleaner.

If you can harvest all the brackets, pulleys, belt and tensioner from another 6.0l, you can install an alternator. But you don't need to.

So the 160 is cool at idle and all that. But the amps will be pulling around 200 on their own and that's assuming nothing in the car also needs power. Which obviously it does. Plus to be honest this is just what I am doing now. I will be adding about 10k watts for amps all said and done so trying to figure out if I can get alternators in before I even go down that road cause no way 160 amps is gonna cut it when I get all the gear in. I ordered the mount bracket for the alternator you think the belt will be same from gas version? Belt wouldn't go around power steering pump in hybrid which I believe is on serpentine in had version right? I believe ac is on its on belt in gas though if I recall correctly.

Thanks for your advice on feeling more confident this is going to work out.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 AM

An alternator won't make peak power at idle. None can. The brackets, idler, and tensioners will bolt on both 6.0L and maybe even from 5.3L. But, the lack of power steering pulley may make obtaining a proper belt more difficult. It will make getting the water pump proper drive contact. An "idler" where the pump would go or a "gutted" pump without vanes and a fluid line plugged off might work.

So once you duplicate "most" of the non-hybrid belt routing, you might run a string or something around the new routing to get a belt length.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 01-28-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
An alternator won't make peak power at idle. None can. The brackets, idler, and tensioners will bolt on both 6.0L and maybe even from 5.3L. But, the lack of power steering pulley may make obtaining a proper belt more difficult. It will make getting the water pump proper drive contact. An "idler" where the pump would go or a "gutted" pump without vanes and a fluid line plugged off might work.

So once you duplicate "most" of the non-hybrid belt routing, you might run a string or something around the new routing to get a belt length.
That sir is an excellent idea. And true when I am full electric at low speeds or stop light I may run into issues. Of course I could always put it in M then I would avoid the loss of power. Any thoughts on how I figure out the routing? Just as long as it keeps the belt connected I don't know what goes into all that exactly.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 AM

Std Non Hybrid Belt routing showing idler upper left. Tensioner just above water pump pulley. Alternator upper right Power steering lower right

Attached Thumbnails Planning to Add Alternator-belt-route.png  
Old 03-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

hello, did you add the alternator?
i am in the same situation as you, currently running a lanzar opti 4001d at 1ohm pushing around 2k watts to a DD 9515. the amp needing about 200amps.
im also worried that the inverter gets pushed to its limits.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Ojeda
hello, did you add the alternator?
i am in the same situation as you, currently running a lanzar opti 4001d at 1ohm pushing around 2k watts to a DD 9515. the amp needing about 200amps.
im also worried that the inverter gets pushed to its limits.

I haven't yet. I'm trying to figure out the battery situation since occasionally the motor will turn off and then no power from alternator. But still planning on it. I'm confident it will written I have the stock bracket and am sure it will fit so all should be good.