Possible 12v problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Possible 12v problem?

Hello!

I am new to the forum, but have been reading here for a bit.

I purchased a used 2009 Yukon Hybrid in January. It has been great. It currently has about 90k on it, I've personally put about 12k on it.

The other day, I drove to a small park, and parked. My daughter went to play in the park for a bit, while I worked on my laptop in the truck.

I turned the key off, and let the radio play. After the designated 10 minutes or so, the radio turned off. So I turned the key to the on, then off position to get another 10 minutes. It again turned off after the 10 minutes or so.

I figured that should be enough time at the park, and called my daughter back. She got in, and I went to fire the truck up.

I got no clicking (like you sometimes get with a regular car) or any other noise at all. The DIC showed service just about everything. I couldn't roll the windows up, or use the radio. Essentially nothing worked. I have a volt meter in my center console, so I checked, and voltage showed 11.2. I tried to turn it on again, no drop in voltage, but nothing again.

This was frustrating. I opened the door, closed it. and kept trying to start it. I then realized it was not working. I kept the key in, and to the on position though.

I called AAA, and began arranging for a tow. While speaking to her I heard a click click noise, and figured to try again. It started up. Voltage meter showed 15.3 volts at this time (Charging battery.)

I am thinking it could have something to do with the 12v battery.

So first, I'd like you opinion, could this be related to the 12v battery, or am I chasing the wrong issue.

Second, I purchased an XS power AGM battery, and thought I would change it, but I am a bit worried about doing this. Granted I've changed a million batteries in my time, it's never been a Hybrid. I'm not sure if there is something special I have to do.

I've read that if you change the battery, you will throw all kinds of errors upon start up. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

-John

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Possible 12v problem?

Swapping out the 12V battery is no big deal. It will clear any stored codes in all the various computers.

Was your laptop powered by the truck at the time?

The battery terminals may need a cleaning. For just sitting leave in "running" and just let it sit in Auto-Stop

Run for a few minutes... off for about 10 minutes. All the new highly loaded vehicles now arer hell on 12V batteries.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply!

Laptop was not powered by the truck. If I go outside right now, my truck is sitting at about 11.4-11.6 volts. From all my knowledge (could be flawed with the hybrid) this is probably indicating a very low-battery. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am only worried about issues when I put a new battery in. Thus far, since purchasing the truck, I've only had to replace a wheel bearing, and I feel I've put a fair number of miles on it.

-John

Old 10-20-2015, 07:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That 12V battery may be going. No big deal on new battery. Not special

Old 10-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me when I test drove it the first time. We were checking everything out while running the AC and radio with the engine in ACC. Now I'm paranoid of letting the 12V run low. Once the 12V reaches a low voltage threshold it disables the starter.
As commented above just leave it run mode and let autostop decide when to shut engine off.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Administrator

It's the 12v battery. I had it die when my hybrid was new after having the radio ON while washing it.