Problem Starting Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Problem Starting Hybrid

I have an 08 Tahoe Hybrid which in the last week has developed a strange habit.
When I first get in the truck it starts fine, drive for a few miles stop, do some business get in and drive some more. At the third time of asking the truck won't start. There is no power to the starter motor at all. All the other electrics work but it doesn't even turn over.
I see that the interior lights are still on.
The lights go out, and hey presto the truck starts, but the check engine light is illuminated on the dash!
The truck appears to be running fine despite this reluctance to start.
I decided to experiment and the remote start works, which led me to the theory it had something to do with the interior lights.
I then switched OFF the dome lights, and tried starting it. Hey presto the truck started normally and the check engine light didn't come on.
Any thoughts on what could be the problem? I'm a bit bemused by the whole thing its just very odd.

Rob Mck

Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Problem Starting Hybrid

Is this the original 12V battery? Most wierd problems like this go away with a new battery.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes its the original 12V battery.
I am a bit annoyed if i have to replace it after just 4000 miles - six months!!!!

Rob

Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Think green.

I don't know much, but maybe there's a short circuit or a bad ground in regard to the dome lights? I remember someone else had a similar problem recently with another type of car, but I tried a search and can't find that thread. Maybe I was reading it over at cleanmpg.com.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 07-14-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Check the connections to the 12v battery.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Search elsewhere on this board for battery issues. There have been reported issues with the original 12V batteries on some of the 08's. Sounds like the 12V battery isn't holding enough charge to light up the domes AND start the engine. Most have reported that changing the battery out solves a lot the electrical related issues. Sounds silly but it' possible even on a "regular" car. When the dealer changes the battery out make sure they replace it with the Hybrid specific one, there's supposedly a specific model number for the battery in the Hybrid. Good luck ...

Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

Search the threads. There's a technical bulletin out on the battery replacement. Bring it to your dealer and they should replace the battery under warranty. Mine was replaced in the first week of ownership and I haven't had any problems since (except when my wife leaves the radio on for hours!).

Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default why?

Originally Posted by robmck
Yes its the original 12V battery.
I am a bit annoyed if i have to replace it after just 4000 miles - six months!!!!

Rob
its new technology, you have an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. big deal....they had a batch of batteries that were measured by their manufacturer (GM doesn't build EVERYTHING on the car) and incorrectly labeled. These were then installed in some 08's. Then they found the problem and corrected it.

end of story

Last edited by jet1; 07-15-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Jet 1 ..
Because I am in Europe and DO NOT have the same warranty as purchasers in the US. I also don't have a dealer just around the corner.
Yes it is my choice to purchase a new tech vehicle, but a battery is very old tech and not something which should hinder the new tech working.

All the best
Rob

Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Rob,
what is the warranty on your vehicle pls, I also don't live in the US, and the warranty issued by the dealer is only 3years/60K KM

Quick Reply: Problem Starting Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands