pros,cons,Problems with new 2009 Tahoe Hybrid which I am planning to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: pros,cons,Problems with new 2009 Tahoe Hybrid which I am planning to buy

Originally Posted by Guss
CPMS,

Thanks for your reply, very helpful.
How long have you owned your 2009 vehicle, and have you had any issues with it?
I hear a lot fo problems about Braking, and sometimes it doesn't start at all.
My vehicle shoudl be going into production in Aguust 09 (2009 model), so I was wondering if these issues has been fixed in 2009 models??

any input is appreciated
Regards
Guss
I've only had the truck for a little more than a month. No issues yet. I did have the battery die when the tint shop left the ignition on while they were working on the windows. As is reported elsewhere in this forum, never leave the truck with the ignition on unless the vehicle is actually "running". The ICE will cycle on and off to recharge the system as the voltage in the 12V battery drains. Things like the radio, dome lamps, etc. will kill the 12V battery in no time. You'd think with a 300V battery in there you'd have a lot of stored juice but the way the electrical system is configured that just isn't the case.

As for the braking, the pedal doesn't feel like a "normal" car. I attribute it to the conventional brakes having to work with the regenerative braking system that recharges the batteries. I'm not sure how big of an issue this is as far as faulty design/manufacturing. Not to make light of some of the non-braking situations others have experienced but Jet1 does have a point in that if it were really a widespread design/manufacturing issue you'd think it'd be in the hands of the NHTSA by now.

I have no regrets with the Hybrid so far, getting 18-19 mpg which is a more than 100% improvement over the 07 Escalade EXT I had.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: pros,cons,Problems with new 2009 Tahoe Hybrid which I am planning to buy

CPMS,
Thanks for your feedback,
What does ICE stand for pls?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

ICE = internal combustion engine

Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 AM

Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CPMS
As for the braking, the pedal doesn't feel like a "normal" car. I attribute it to the conventional brakes having to work with the regenerative braking system that recharges the batteries.
CPMS,

Can you tell when the transition to hydraulic brakes occurs? I test drove one, but really couldn't tell. I would imagine if someone could, they could really optimize their driving for economy.

Michael

Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default uh....

there is no transition, the hydraulics work in unison with the regenerative braking ... they slow the vehicle via the wheels while the regenerative slows the vehicle via the drive line

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

[quote=fjungman;206398]I just purchased a rear cargo carrier that mounts on the hitch instead of a roof mounted one. I think this is much more useful and doesn't hurt the aerodynamics as much.
http://www.letsgoaero.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pid=17
It arrives Friday, so I'll let you know next week how it works.[end quote]

I have a hitch mount installed and use it for bikes in the summer and, with the optional rack, for skis and snowboards in winter. Only complaint is it wobbles a bit and the Tahoe tends to kick up dirt in the back so your equipment gets really dirty.
My wife left the key on again in the driveway for 2 hours yesterday. Battery was completely dead and had to jump it. No problems afterwards, just took a few miles for the check engine light to go off. The most important advice I have for new owners....DON'T RUN DOWN THE 12V BATTERY! Keep the engine running while stopped and listening to the radio or using other accessories.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks ***** for your input,

When you say she left the key on, you mean the switch was turned on all the way or just half way on Acc. switch?
what exactly causes the drain of the 12V battery, radio on? lights on?
I am aslo curious to know if you are sitting in the car with the engine running but not driving (on park or nutral), teh vehical is running on the 300V battery or electrical motor (if I am not mistaken) does that also cause the 12V battery to drain?
If the A.C is on, does it also affect the 12V battery?
One last thing, what charges the 12V battery? is it the 300V or the gas engine? so if you need to charge the 12V do you take it for a spin and make sure it is running on the gas engine, or is it sufficient to drive it around on the hybrid mode electrical motor to recharge the 12v battery?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default its real simple...

if you are in the car start the engine, it will run for a minute or 2 then shut off. Don't turn it off just leave it alone...the engine will start when it needs to recharge the system. I just spent 5 days on an airbase driving around and playing with jets. I started the car then just drove it, on battery-electric, gas or both. turn the key to the start position...when the engine starts let it go but do not turn it off. it will spring to its correct position then the SYSTEM will just work how its designed to. after 5 days the car was performing flawlessly and never gave me a moments trouble. all my jet buddies wanted to drive it etc.

Last edited by jet1; 07-11-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

jet1's right. Whatever you do don't sit in the vehicle with stuff running (AC, radio, dome lights, etc.) unless you have started it. That's the single most inconvenient thing about the Hybrid, at least it is for me. I had my battery killed by the tint shop when the left the key in the "on" position for a couple of hours without starting the truck (they were indoors so it's understandable). We jump started it and I drove it around to charge the battery and everything has been fine so far. The experience made me paranoid enough to leave my dome light switch in the off position unless I need it.

I believe I read somewhere that the 300V battery system charges the 12V battery. There isn't an alternator like a normal engine so the 300V system must use some kind of rectifier/transformer setup to charge the 12V DC battery. If you're sitting in a parking lot with the system in auto stop, everything that is on is run off the battery(s) (not sure if it's 12V or 300V or both). If the ICE is idling while you're sitting there, it's charging the 300V battery (or you're in reverse ).

Quick Reply: pros,cons,Problems with new 2009 Tahoe Hybrid which I am planning to buy

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands