Question about removing engine of Hybrid Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Question about removing engine of Hybrid Sierra

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra Hybrid, just passed 130k miles and my engine is giving me trouble. I got a very bad shaking from it, flashing check engine light, So I pulled the plugs and number 7 plug has oil on it, error code was saying misfire cylinder 7. I did a compression check and 7 was at 20, 5 was at 110 so I didn't go any further, I found great deal on a LC9 Gen IV 5.3 from a 2011 Suburban, Also has the DOD/AFM so I got it, $650 bucks. My buddy owns a shop, although he specializes in performance vehicles he agreed to pull the 6.0 and put the 5.3 in place and flash the 5.3 programming in. He ran into a problem, he can't get the high voltage copper lines off the transmission so he told me it might be best to take it to someone more familiar with this. Anyone have any information on how to remove these lines, or should i take it to the dealer and fork out a bunch more money?? He said he needs to remove the transmission to get the motor out because of how the electric starters are positioned. I really don't have the cash to be able to afford the dealer to fix it, but if thats the only way to have it fixed then ill just have to do it and take from my savings. Has anyone removed the transmission theirselves?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about removing engine of Hybrid Sierra

That engine can be removed without transmission removal. HOWEVER... There is no way that LC9 is going to run right in a hybrid. At a minimum the camshaft phaser control will be FUBAR.

Last edited by Hillbilly_Hybrid; 08-29-2016 at 08:26 AM.