Rear Window Debris

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Rear Window Debris

In bad weather the rear window is always dirty and requires continual cleaning using the wiper. I have had several vehicles which have rear wipers that are not really needed. However the airflow behind the Tahoe Hybrid during bad weather really requires the use of the rear wiper.
If you do not use it during heavy snow it will not clean the window resulting in a stop to clean it.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default yep

its an areodynamic low pressure area....

Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rear Window Debris

Originally Posted by kklein
In bad weather the rear window is always dirty and requires continual cleaning using the wiper. I have had several vehicles which have rear wipers that are not really needed. However the airflow behind the Tahoe Hybrid during bad weather really requires the use of the rear wiper.
If you do not use it during heavy snow it will not clean the window resulting in a stop to clean it.
Back in the day, there were air deflectors, typically attached to the roof rack, that reduced the amount of muck that attached to window. Not sure how badly one of those impacted the CX - but that was also before wipers became common on utes.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Low pressure area for sure maybe a dam or wing would help.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I was actually thinking...

about adding some vortex generators to slightly alter the trailing edge aerodynamics of the roof....

Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 AM

Good idea Jet 1 I think I will give that a try, maybe some boundary layer energizers which have a low profile design, you would not see them as much.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Administrator

my evo had vortex generators but still would mess up the trunk. maybe instead a rear diffuser would work.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

bet they took stuff like that off the vehicle because of drag...loss of mpg's

Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default actually

Originally Posted by txav8r
bet they took stuff like that off the vehicle because of drag...loss of mpg's
properly applied, vortex generators would IMPROVE fuel efficiency at the cost of looks.

http://www.airtab.com/en/

Old 02-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

agreed...but if you keep the flow onto the glass, then the idea is not to streamline but to disrupt the low pressure and keep the glass from accumulating snow/dust/etc. That won't be an aerodynamic feature because you would want the airflow to leave the top of the vehicle smoothly, not follow down the back to clear the back window. Just my thought on this, not nearly an expert...just an observation. But a scoop on top of the rear of the vehicle to direct airflow to the back glass would certainly be a hugh increase in drag from my viewpoint, even though I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Debris

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands