rumor fact or fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default rumor fact or fiction?

I have heard that all of the JAN/FEB GMC Yukons were largely hand built by the design engineers to insure build quality. It was just the Yukons not the Tahoe or Escalade. Don;t know if its true or not has anyone else heard that?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: rumor fact or fiction?

LOL...A design engineer with a wrench in his/her hand. I don't think so. They may have been observing the line, but no way are they getting their suits dirty. Many times they observe to find new designs that may cut assembly costs or make things go faster. I'd rather have the ones built by regular line workers thank you.

Last edited by willywaxer; 03-13-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default id rsther hsve the opposite

an engineer has more reason to do a good job than a 70.00 per hour over paid under educated and under skilled union flunky

Last edited by jet1; 03-13-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: id rsther hsve the opposite

Originally Posted by jet1
an engineer has more reason to do a good job than a 70.00 per hour over paid under educated and under skilled union flunky

Maybe if they are building one on paper! You're referring to the old UAW workers and I agree (the UAW is most to blame for the Big3 demise IMHO). However, those working now make about $28/hr and are highly skilled, I've seen them at work first hand (not at GM but at Ford).

Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default boy I sure hope so!

Originally Posted by willywaxer
Maybe if they are building one on paper! You're referring to the old UAW workers and I agree (the UAW is most to blame for the Big3 demise IMHO). However, those working now make about $28/hr and are highly skilled, I've seen them at work first hand (not at GM but at Ford).
i'm counting on this truck to keep going for a few years! i decided that we need to gamble ON america instead of AGAINST (read buying foreign) it!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: id rsther hsve the opposite

Originally Posted by willywaxer
I've also worked in several Ford assembly plants. Design engineers, or engineers of any kind hand building vehicles, ... that doesn't happen. Maybe a one-time prototype, and maybe at the design studios in and around Detroit.

It's not a production vehicle if they can't built the thing at the assembly plants using the usual means.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default that doesn't happen...AT FORD anyway

Originally Posted by Coal Miner
I've also worked in several Ford assembly plants. Design engineers, or engineers of any kind hand building vehicles, ... that doesn't happen. Maybe a one-time prototype, and maybe at the design studios in and around Detroit.

It's not a production vehicle if they can't built the thing at the assembly plants using the usual means.
perhaps GM is different...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: rumor fact or fiction?

Sounds like scuttlebutt to me, where did you hear said rumor?

Also wouldn't make that much sense , since (heh nice pun on words) the Tahoe came out before the Yukon or 'Slade and there would be no reason to build the Yukon by hand since the design was already in production.

Besides, engineers love to tear apart,

Old 03-14-2009, 08:24 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default I don't make the news...

Originally Posted by Cygnus9th
Sounds like scuttlebutt to me, where did you hear said rumor?

Also wouldn't make that much sense , since (heh nice pun on words) the Tahoe came out before the Yukon or 'Slade and there would be no reason to build the Yukon by hand since the design was already in production.

Besides, engineers love to tear apart,
I just report it! Maybe they were just observers on the line or something and its evolved its way to the urban myth level!

Last edited by jet1; 03-14-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: that doesn't happen...AT FORD anyway

Originally Posted by jet1
perhaps GM is different...
I've been around GM and Chrysler assy plants, too. Not nearly as much as the Ford plants, though. It sounds like you want to believe this. I still say it's far fetched.

If you really want to track it down, there are SAE (used to stand for Society of Automotive Engineers) publications online. If this ever happened, it would certainly make headlines on there.