Silverado Hybrid Twins

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Silverado Hybrid Twins

Hi all,

I thought I would post some observations on my Silverado Hybrid Twins. I have a personal 2011 Silverado Hybrid HY2 (fancy) and a brand new 2012 Company Silverado Hybrid HY1 (not so fancy).

First off there some differences between 2011 and 2012. The biggest being the dashboard lights. The 2012 has much smaller warning lights and they seem slightly more informative. For example the TCS light now has the words "off" that illuminate when it is not working. There is also a "speedometer" selection in the DIC screen - it is not available in the 2012. Overall functionally everything seems the same. Both are 4x4 models.

I bought the 2011 used as a GM Demo with 14,000 miles (technically sold as new). I was told it lived it's life in LA as part of a corporate loaner fleet. It seemed to be well taken care of and had no problems other than a missing hard bed cover (I have an extang tri-fold). I have had zero problems since I bought it in February and now have 30,000 miles on it. I made some tweaks of course - added Bilstein shocks all around and used them to raise the front by 0.53 inches. Added a bedliner and cargo system and hi Lift mount of my own design which adds some weight in the bed. I am averaging 21 mpg on rural roads and freeways in Nor-Cal. The only complaints I have are the suspension is WAY to soft for this part of the world - even with the Bilsteins I am looking at some spring changes and the factory tires are pretty much gone (Dueler H/Ts). Given the hilly terrain in this area both are too be expected. I paid $34,000 for the truck with 14,000 miles including tax (a great deal in my mind).

The company truck has about 900 miles on it and does not have all the fancy bling of the HY2 package. Frankly I prefer it to the fancy package. Build time from GM was nearly 5 months. It has the same soft suspension and tires as the 2011, although since everything is new it rides better. The HY1 center seat/console is much better for working out of than the HY2 - espically the hidden lower lockable console. The factory soft cover is interesting and I hope it will hold up to fleet use - normally we put a hard locking cover on everything. The one BIG missing piece on the HY1 package is a backup alarm or camera - it is a big rig to turn around on a dirt road without the alarm or camera. It is an option - but we did not order it. I have had one check engine light event on the new rig that involved a full power acceleration on a gravel surface to freeway speeds. The check engine light began flashing and the engine had an obvious miss - after about 1/4 mile the light turned off and did not come back on. My fleet mechanic says wait until the next service unless the light comes back. Most people would not need to do such a maneuver - but it is fairly common for us. The 2012 is averaging 18.3 MPG at this point - however I don't pay attention to MPG until after the first oil change.