Silverado hybrids running in EV mode

Old 04-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Silverado hybrids running in EV mode

Thanks for the correction. My Ford Escape Hybrid has a gauge which shows charge and assist. I interpreted the 'economy' gauge on the Silverado as being the same type of gauge. I still can not understand why the needle would peg to the right when going at constant 60 MPH on a flat highway, but maybe this new understanding will lead me in a different direction. Like maybe an accidental downshift would lead to poor economy.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How far to the right does that needle go? Are you driving with the shifter in D or M? At 60 to 70 today on the freeway I was toward the right but just barely on the solid green center bar.

When I pulled it into M it went farther right.

So when driven so as to keep the needle straight up and down, that is supposed to be maximum efficiency.

When accelerating and braking, keeping the needle at least within the dashed green zone is best.

But at 60 and faster that needle will lean right. The harder you push the gas pedal, the farther right.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Enthusiast

The needle went hard right, 90% of possible. But I was new to the machine and might have bumped it into M. Your explanation of the economy gauge has helped me to understand a lot. I still don't understand why I would use M unless I was towing or some extreme situation like downhill on ice.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Pretty much stay out of M unless you need grade braking on ling down hills.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for clearing some things up for me. I just wish it was possible to get EPA city gas mileage.