Tahoe hybrid reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tahoe hybrid reliability

Hi Folks

I could buy a 2008 Tahoe hybrid with 55 000 M for about 33 000 $ (Can) but I'm worried about the reliability issues for the hybrid....bad or not ?

I could pull the trigger for a Suburban 2007 for about 27 000 $ instead...they could get pretty decent mileage probably way better than my Hemi Commander who is gasoholic !!!

Do you think I would be better serve with Suburban considering the 4000 or 5000 $ difference.

It seems that the non-hybrid are very reliable.

What your take on that.

Thank you very much !

Old 12-30-2011, 05:39 AM
aka soulsea
Default Re: Tahoe hybrid reliability

Hi QC,

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another GM full size hybrid SUV, but I think you can do better than the deal you're looking at and I would recommend the 09 versions or newer as GM seemed to have worked a lot of the kinks out after that first year.

I'm going to be selling my 09 next month and if I get $35-36k US with 27xxx miles and I'll be happy even though blue book is $39k and it has the expensive 22" GM option wheels.

-----------------

Edit to add ... the 07 Suburbans, being that it was the first year of that body style, have a similar reliability record for the same reason as the 08 Hybrids, so an 08 and newer would be recommended there.

Last edited by HyHoe; 12-30-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default my 08 yukon has been very good to me

there was a reflash of the computer needed, I had two locks replaced in the doors and a new battery all done under warranty. I really like everything about my yukon except for the !@#$%$ rev limiter! It won't go over 97 mph (although I plan on changing that soon!)

Old 12-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Administrator

+1 on the rev limiter, goes to 99 then back to 97!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:06 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default it can be changed...

Originally Posted by evois
+1 on the rev limiter, goes to 99 then back to 97!
or so i'm told the dealer can "remove" the rev limiter.....I will be looking in to this in the summer.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Enthusiast

So all in all...is the Tahoe/Yukon hybrid are reliable ?

It seems that the price of the Tahoe goes down as the dealer can't sel it...price drop 2000 $ since last week....

Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

My 08 has already had to have a survice bulletin to upgrade a spring in the transmissions hydraulic pressure regulator for slipping shifts. It is now seeming as though the trans holds gears when it should be letting go. It makes noises when the engine starts, or comes out of park into a gear. It only does this when the transmission is above 120 degrees or so, so right now I have to wait to take it in and get it diagnosed (-4 right now).
I have heard from a dealer technitian that the transmission is the only really weak part of the hybrids. During my road test with him to verify the slipping he was telling me that almost every hybrid that dealership has sold required repair or replacement of the transmission. He thinks the newer ones have been modified and that it won't be a reoccuring issue. Warranty for hybrid parts are 8yrs or 80K miles, and a specific transmission for the hybrid may qualify, but ask the dealer's service manager first if you have any questions.