Trans question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Trans question

Pulled the trans pan on my new 120,000 mile Yukon Hybrid to change fluid. Very clean, is that normal on these trans or did someone do this before me? Also trans level indicated about 3/4" above the hot line when truck was cold, but I only got 8 or so quarts out. Supposed to be around 11 qt with pan removal. Any thoughts?

Old 02-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trans question

Disregard the level question, I was forgetting a big part of level checking: Having the engine running! Ended up I got 10 qt out and put 10.75 back, it actually was a bit low. Sure was clean in the pan though.
Front diff, different story. Lots of grey fine dust like metallic goo on the magnetic drain plug and in the bottom.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1gmc
Pulled the trans pan on my new 120,000 mile Yukon Hybrid to change fluid. Very clean, is that normal on these trans or did someone do this before me? Also trans level indicated about 3/4" above the hot line when truck was cold, but I only got 8 or so quarts out. Supposed to be around 11 qt with pan removal. Any thoughts?
I changed my at approx. 100K miles and it was extremely clean, identical in appearance to the fresh fluid, both filters(there were two as I recall) were clean.

My understanding is these transmissions(CVT) operate & wear differently than a typical automatic.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

This is on my to do list...

did you reuse the pan gasket or replace with a new one? i've heard that they are reusable.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Clean around the edge of the pan real good before you pull it off with a brush or something like that, then when you pull it you will be good to go when reusing it. It is a real quality piece with metal ringlets around the bolts so you don't over tighten and damage the rubber. A new one is like $60. To be honest, if I knew how clean mine as going to be I would have saved the money and effort and just drained the fluid.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

when you pulled your trans pan did you also have to pull your aux fluid pump? i would think so since it blocks two of the bolts to the trans pan.

did you reuse the aux fluid pump gasket or install a new one?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

It has to come off. Clean around it real good so you don't get anything inside it when you take it off. You can move it over and on top of the exhaust pipe to hold it out of the way. The exhaust does NOT have to come off like it does with the conventional Tahoes. I bought a new gasket before hand just in case, but my gasket stuck tight to the trans case and was not damaged so I re-used it. No issues.