High Mileage Vehicles If it gets over 30mpg, and isn't a hybrid - post here!

Smart Car

Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Smart Car

Ah, ok. Hear it on another forum but wasn't counting it out yet. Just sounded way too much for what you get.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

I believe that you can get killed in almost any car involved in a head-on collision. However after seeing the video of the 30mph crash test with a full sized Mercedes, I was impressed. The "Beetle" had no captive audience when it was introduced nor did the Ford Mustang. So I have to disagree. Not all Americans want the Big Gas Guzzlers. If they did then the Japanese wouldn't sell so many small cars here in the US. Granted this is the smallest of the small but I'm betting it will take off like a rocket.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schwa
They are only $20,000 Canadian, so there's no way they will be $28k US. I think they are overpriced, but that's just in comparison to all the other small cars that get sold at a loss, supposedly.
They will sell from 15,000 to 28,000 US, fully loaded with a leather interior and all the bells and whistles. I've even heard less the 15.000.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Advance The Man
You have to have a captive audience prior to investing in the SmartCar here in the USA. I think they will have a difficult time in two areas: 1. American buyers want bigger cars and would be scared that they would get killed in an accident. 2. Not sure the SmartCar can pass America's rigid crash tests. Guess 1 and 2 are sort of related - What problems are you mentioning of the existing hybrids?
Can't address the actual problems , but I've never seen a car introduced that didn't have something that changed in subsequent models due to a problem with design.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reelman55
Can't address the actual problems , but I've never seen a car introduced that didn't have something that changed in subsequent models due to a problem with design.
Here is and example of what I said.

"The challenge is how to expand hybrid technology to more models and more lines," Masatami Takimoto, Toyota's executive vice president in charge of advanced power train and engine technology, said at the company's new steel and glass global headquarters. "My personal desire is to put the hybrid to all the models. But it cannot be done overnight, only step by step."

Some drivers have said that the actual mileage of the Prius, Toyota's third-most -popular car in the United States after the Camry and Corolla, often falls short of its federal economy rating. But Mr. Takimoto, responding to that criticism, said, "The majority of customers say that their second-generation Prius gets much better mileage than their old car."
Now this comes from the Horses Mouth.

[U]

Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think the mileage claim probably does fall a little short to the general population because I'm sure that a majority of them are not willing to change how they drive in order to get the mileage. There are some here that see to do very well with the mileage on their Prius's judging by the Database. Do you really think it's that possible to have that much of a variance in performance on such a tightly toleranced piece of equipment? I don't think so, if there was that much of a variance then you would be seeing more failures due to wear and tear and other problems. I don't own one yet so I can't for 100% say for sure but I think the mileage lays 95% in the hands of the operator.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Vegetarian

can someone post a link to the smart and the mercedes suv collision?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IMAhybrid
can someone post a link to the smart and the mercedes suv collision?
www.zapworld.com/cars/smartcar.asp

scroll down to box MSNBC and click on box

Old 09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Vegetarian

thanks

it's not playing on my computer though, oi.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Wow, someone revived this dead thread. I gave up both my hybrids and ended up getting 2 smarts. Gave up one to my daughter and got a Yaris. I have 38,000 miles on my one smart and put 21,000 on my other that I gave to my daughter. Averaged 42.4mpg with the one with 38k and 40.4 for the other. The one with higher mileage I did a few mods to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smart Car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands