High Mileage Vehicles If it gets over 30mpg, and isn't a hybrid - post here!

Smart Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Smart Car

Originally Posted by singingtiger
His biggest concern was servicing that must be done at a Mercedes dealer and they seem to "find" additional service work that they say 'needs to be done'.
My Dad was all set to buy a Smart and then the Mercedes dealer said it needed $400CAD worth of service every 8000km (5000mi) and $800 worth of service every 16,000km. It was the deal breaker!

Old 06-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Diesel driver

Originally Posted by Droid13
My Dad was all set to buy a Smart and then the Mercedes dealer said it needed $400CAD worth of service every 8000km (5000mi) and $800 worth of service every 16,000km. It was the deal breaker!
Well well I have heard this story before.....smart Canada/Mercedes-Benz Canada have revised their A and B Service pricing: A Services will cost $120 CAD including synthetic oil and filter, and B Services will cost $169 CAD including synthetic oil, filter and air filter, at ANY dealer in Canada as of two weeks ago.

For me, that is a reduction of about $15 on an A Service and a reduction of about $75 on a B Service. In other words, the estimates you got were a joke. Literally.

The smart determines what the actual service interval is going to be, and it is 10,500 km in my case. It depends upon how you drive the car. 8000 km is the default.

Last edited by MikeT; 06-28-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Diesel driver

The wait will a bit longer than I had hoped: 2008 is the "on sale" date, not 2007.

More information: http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom...0-0-0-0-0.html

Old 06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ummmm....wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just slap a "Dodge" logo on it, rather than setting up a whole new network of dealers?

(I was going to say "Plymouth", but it appears that has gone the way of the dinosaur.)

Old 06-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Diesel driver

It won't be a new network; Penske will sell the smart at selected existing car dealers: Mercedes, Toyota, Dodge, etc, all under the smart brand.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:39 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by MikeT
It won't be a new network; Penske will sell the smart at selected existing car dealers: Mercedes, Toyota, Dodge, etc, all under the smart brand.
If D-C takes the SmartCar seriously, it will probably sell. This is *definately* a niche car, but you can be profitable with a niche car if you know what you're doing. GM would royally screw this up, of course. But D-C might have a shot.

I would think the that D-C would have to train their dealers HOW to sell this car. An 800 pound, 2-seat vehicle that's only 4' wide and 9' long certainly isn't for everyone. It probably isn't suitable as a primary vehicle either. But as a secondary car (ie commuter car), it's got the FE advantage and ludicrously easy to park.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Java Geek

I saw one yesterday in CT with an Ontario license plate. They make my insight look big!

Old 07-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Diesel Driver

Originally Posted by Donald
Just Curious,

Is there a website similar to the fuel economy .gov that rates cars from all countries? I keep hearing about cleaner diesel cars in Europe and Argentina (bio-fuel) - I would like to see stats on cars from all counties.

Thanks,
Here's a link to VCA figures as refered to in the UK - most of the top figures are set by small european diesels.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/index.asp

Old 07-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeT
Umm, I think we're crossing our terms. Daimler Chrysler have said it will be a new network:

Former race car driver Roger Penske has signed on to develop a network of up to 50 Smart dealerships across the U.S.
I agree with you that these are likely to be existing dealerships, even if Smart insists on separate brick-and-mortar buildings, but they won't be sold through the Mercedes or Dodge networks. That means a whole new organization. If they just slapped a Dodge logo on it, they'd avoid that rigamarole.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Diesel driver

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
An 800 pound, 2-seat vehicle that's only 4' wide and 9' long certainly isn't for everyone.
If my smart weighed 800 lbs, I'd be winning drag races against VW GTIs. The truth is they typically weigh 730-740 kg, or 1620-1640 lbs. Also, the car is 5' wide, excluding mirrors.

A good sales model for Penske to follow would be Three Point Motors in Victoria BC Canada.

There, Mercedes-Benz and smart are on the same lot, but smart has a separate and funkier showroom. Most CDN M-B dealers have the smarts off in a dark corner somewhere, in the Benz showroom. Amazing really, that some of the dealers manage to sell any cars.....and yet sales are up 14-20% over last year, in recent months.....

Quick Reply: Smart Car

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands