General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Design News: Chevy Volt

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Engineering first
Default Design News: Chevy Volt

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6413718.html

Originally Posted by DesignNews
. . .
Using its electric drive train and its engine-generator backup, the Volt reportedly features a 640-mile driving range. It offers the potential to take drivers to and from work without ever firing up its internal combustion engine and, at the same time, has the ability to traverse long distances. Significantly, it can do all that without any “inductive chargers” (a staple of GM’s EV1) or 220V re-charging stations. Rather, GM engineers say the Volt’s lithium-ion battery can be recharged in six to seven hours on a 110V, 15A household electrical current.

“The challenge was coming up with the right balance of energy in the battery and the right driving range, so it doesn’t take longer than overnight to charge it,” says Nick Zielinski, Volt’s chief engineer. “But we believe we’ve got it. We could serve three-quarters of the U.S. population with the electric-only driving range, and still have the engine and generator for back-up.”
. . .
I've only glanced at the article but typically Design News has more technical content than Popular Science. Never enough (but then I tend to want mechanical drawings, materials listings, schematics and source code) but every little bit helps.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-22-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 AM
no more oil
Default Re: Design News: Chevy Volt

Hi

Read the article. My heart sank however, as it is just another ploy to raise stock. The car is a 'concept' and is being touted as maybe, possibly , being ready 5 years from now.

Why dont they just wait until they can actually build the thing before they start hyping it to promote their company.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by tomdavie
Hi

Read the article. My heart sank however, as it is just another ploy to raise stock. The car is a 'concept' and is being touted as maybe, possibly , being ready 5 years from now.

Why dont they just wait until they can actually build the thing before they start hyping it to promote their company.
When GM announced the 2-Mode Saturn VUE and the plug-in Saturn VUE, some of the comments coming from this site were (paraphrasing) "What a cheap shot. Why not just say up front that there would be something better than the BAS coming right behind it?"

So this time the Chevy Volt is discussed up front and the comments coming from this site are "Why dont they just wait until they can actually build the thing before they start hyping it to promote their company".

darned if ya do......darned if ya don't.......

Solution? Just do what ya do and keep on moving. Fact is, in any large consumer goods company, a lot of care and planning is put into the public announcement of any major or defining product. There is a science regarding when, where and how significant products are announced. In many cases, even the "leaks" are well planned (iPhone?).

Will the Volt be built? I'm very certain of it.
When? Not for me to communicate.
Will it look like the show car? Appearance will be defined by the team put in place to execute the program.

Of course you don't have to believe anything I say. Some here didn't believe the Saturn VUE Green Line would ever see the light of day. There are still some who believe the Tahoe 2-Mode and Yukon 2-Mode are "Powerpoint Engineering". Fair enough. Maybe when they hit the street in a few months the phrase "Powerpoint Engineering" will have a more positive connotation. Until then, I'll just chill and let the product launch cadence speak for itself.

Peace,

Martin

Old 03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I don't know if the Volt will be the "final" product that GM is after, but it does seem that they are interested in designing strong-hybrid technology.

Even their weak-hybrid technology doesn't bother me except for the price. I think $1,000 is a more reasonable price for BAS, considering that you only get 3-4 MPG more.