General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

GM commits to building plug-in Chevy Volt

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default GM commits to building plug-in Chevy Volt

Prius Fighter - GM commits to Volt production

Since the Volt's successful January debut as a concept car at the Detroit auto show, GM has taken major steps to develop a production version of the plug-in hybrid car.

"We are doing the production engineering on the Chevrolet Volt," says Larry Burns, GM's vice president for r&d. "It is a formal product program within our company, just like the Chevrolet Malibu is a product program."

Last week, Burns listed the steps in the program:

GM has allocated funds for development.

Engineering work is under way.

The development team has selected the next-generation Delta platform for the vehicle.

GM has decided to develop two versions, one with a gasoline engine and the other with a fuel cell.

GM has not confirmed a production date for the Volt. The company generally needs about 36 months to bring a vehicle to production once the design is frozen, but it's not clear how soon that point could be reached.

That means the Volt could appear as soon as 2010.

A niche vehicle like the Volt isn't likely to generate big profits. But GM executives think it could help establish GM's green credentials and would be an effective answer to the Toyota Prius.

GM is determined to build it, says Jim Queen, group vice president of global engineering. The company is prepared to forgo an initial profit on the Volt in the hope it could re-establish GM as a technology leader.

The production version would be a "series hybrid." The wheels are turned by an electric motor, which gets power from a battery pack.

The battery pack is recharged by a small gasoline engine that is not connected to the wheels; its sole purpose is to recharge the batteries.

Like other hybrid-powered vehicles, the Volt can run as long as it has gasoline in the tank. Unlike other hybrids, the Volt can be plugged in to an electrical outlet for an overnight battery recharge.

In theory, this allows a driver to go 40 miles a day without using a drop of gasoline. On longer drives, the gasoline engine recharges the batteries.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GM commits to building plug-in Chevy Volt

If I had a buck for every time GM or Ford promised a hybrid I'd be on a beach with an umbrella drink.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 PM
occ

Originally Posted by medicmike
If I had a buck for every time GM or Ford promised a hybrid I'd be on a beach with an umbrella drink.
Here's the way I see it: given GM's history of sabotage and non-deliverance, any anouncement of "green" concept car is most likely not going to make it into showrooms. GM's credibility is rock bottom in this. HOWEVER, I think (...reads "I hope"...) this is different.

The Volt will be very consequential for GM. There are now huge forces at work that requires GM to deliver on this one. Witness Toyota surpassing GM and much more momentum behind still them. Witness hybrids gaining acceptance and market-the first step to the electrification of the automobile. Witness the movements and push to PHEV in local and national government itineraries. Witness half a dozen pure EV companies are readying to sell production vehicles within a few short years. Witness the advancement in batteries within the last 5 yrs, where only a fraction of research monies are involved (as compared to other emerging tech).

GM cannot reneg on this one. It would be different if they hadnt announced it, but they did, and even tied it to battery development. Battery technology is already here. It will only be a matter of time when even they cannot say it's too expensive (the only real reason left). The Volt will either be the nail in their coffin or their saving grace.

People who are die hard GM comsumer will remain so regardless, but people who cars about oil dependency, national security, global warming, fuel efficiency, technology, etc, wont even consider GM unless they have something real to offer...and that group is growing very fast.

I dont see GM having any other choice...can you?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the vehicle that GM brings to market, is actually like the concept, it would be a pleasant surprise. I don't mean the "looks" as much as the technology. A "hybrid" that can be charged three ways, plug-in, small gas powered generator on-board, and regenerative braking.

I also wonder if GM would carry thru calling it the "Volt", or if they would dumb enough to call it their "EV2" (see EV1)?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

Holding breath.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:19 PM
no more oil

hoo boy

Lets SEE IT first.........

Old 05-18-2007, 10:41 AM

The management of Garbage Motors (GM) has all the credibility of an Army recruiter. Never forget, this is the same bunch that destroyed the EV-1, then sold the patents for its battery to Chevron. IMO their "master plan" is to muddle along until Jan. '09, then get a massive bailout from the new Democrat regime.

Note to the original poster: If you're going to use italics, please do so in larger type. That post was very difficult to read.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:15 PM

GM has slowly started preliminary work on production, but they are not actually going to produce it until somebody else magically summons a cheap lithium-ion battery in mass quantities. While others are developing advanced drivetrains now, GM is sitting and waiting. They are dinosaurs.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
GM has slowly started preliminary work on production, but they are not actually going to produce it until somebody else magically summons a cheap lithium-ion battery in mass quantities. While others are developing advanced drivetrains now, GM is sitting and waiting. They are dinosaurs.

The part in bold text......Your opinion or fact that you can substantiate?

Peace,

Martin

Old 05-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Engineering first

Hi folks,

I have and continue to admire Martin's posting, particularly when they touch on engineering issues. What he can share has been and is useful for how life is like "in the belly of the beast." Knowing the engineering characteristics of the existing GM hybrids, I have no problem if a GM employee is not driving a hybrid. We're the 1-2% of the driving population and having him here to listen, learn and share is better than not.

Now if Private Oblivious returns or some of the other skeptics, well I'd join the 'tar and feathers' party. But Martin has always been sensible, if not yet hybridized, and not taken to extremes.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: GM commits to building plug-in Chevy Volt

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands