Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

CNG - after market options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Engineering first
Default CNG - after market options?

Hi,

I've been looking at some of the compressed natural gas (CNG) systems, CNG Outfitters. So far, it looks like a system sized for a Prius would be at least $3,000 parts. There would be another 10 hours of labor to install it to bring the cost up to $4-5,000. I like the ability to use CNG but realized I really need only a commuting range system, ~1 gal. of gas equivalent, with a home refill.

The answer for home, co-generation would use natural gas as the fuel. The system should also use the exhaust and coolant heat for home heating and hot water. Electricity would power the house as well as an AC heat pump. Using natural gas to preheat the car would be brilliant.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CNG - after market options?

I don't see any certification from the manufacturer which of their CNG installations meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for CNG. Additionally, states such as California regulate CNG conversion kits and issue their own approvals on a per-vehicle basis.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Engineering first

Hi Don,

Could you explain a little more about ". . . CNG installations meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards . . ." Is this just for production systems leaving individuals free to do whatever they want?

Bob Wilson

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Engineering Professor

Bob,

You would also want to have Honda's home CNG compressor (for their CNG Civic). It will prepare one refill a day in your garage.

JeffD