Alternative Fuel Vehicles Running biodiesel, E85, Natural Gas, Propane? Chat here!

Did you think about the Civic GX NGV??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Did you think about the Civic GX NGV??

Somebody mentioned that I should have gotten it. You can add the fill up gizmo to your NG hook up at home. I think the thing is $4K or so. There are NG fill up places locally and it cost's something like $1.20 per gallon comparatively. Plus life time carpool access. It only goes 200 miles per tank but that'd be NP for me. It'd be kinda nice thinking that the Fed's couldn't just pull the plug on the carpool thing when they feel like it, like they can with the Hybrid.(here in CA anyway) It looks like the car would be about $30K with the fill up gizmo.
Anyone think it'd be worth it? Maybe something to think about down the road.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Did you think about the Civic GX NGV??

The range of 200 miles wasn't enough for me. I see people with them just never had the chance to speak with them.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Low range and lack of stations was the deal-stopper for me. I had investigated supplemental tanks (one fits into the spare tire opening!), but you'd still have issues travelling in remote areas. I don't do that often, but I still like the freedom of knowing I can take the car on vacation if I want to. For now, the hybrid makes more sense for me. Maybe when the HOV lane access goes away I'll think differently!

Old 06-04-2006, 12:08 PM

I seriously considered the GX before hybrids became eligible for the HOV lane. Getting the stickers is the number one consideration for me, so if the hybrid law hadn't passed the GX was a sure bet.

However, my wife who is the main driver of this vehicle, is apprehensive about carrying a tank of compressed natural gas in the car, so we opted for the hybrid.

The Phill home filling gas pump, at $3000-4000 is an outrage. It certainly makes no sense economically. It would probably take at least ten years to recover that $3000 cost through the difference between CNG price at a filling station and at home. Also, consider that the price difference may be an illusion because the Phill consumes electricity to compress the gas. You have to figure in the cost of the electricity.

There are plenty of CNG filling stations in our area, so availability is not much of an issue. But the range of 200 miles compared to 500 in the HCH is a bit of an inconvenience. And I think the trunk space in the GX is even smaller than in the HCH because of the CNG tank behind the back seat.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 PM

I considered it back when I bought my 04HCH1.
I'm not sure why I held back.
I think the garage fill up station was new and I was nervous about new stuff.

Do they even make it with 2006 body?

Old 06-04-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
Do they even make it with 2006 body?
Yup.
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...lName=Civic+GX

Old 06-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also, I'm wondering if this 200 miles on a tank is some kind of an inflated EPA estimate and similar to the hybrid EPA mileage i.e. if you drive the car hard it only gets say 150 miles to the tank?

Old 06-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Hybrid True Believer

If you could run it on propane instead of CNG, it'd be no problem to drive it in Maryland. I don't think there's a single public-access CNG filling station in the state, although the government must own a few since I've seen some State cars that run on CNG.

But Propane. . . Lemme tell ya: every BJ's Wholesale and Sam's Club has all kinds of propane filling options.

I like the CNG concept, but my townhouse doesn't have a covered garage. If I got Phill, the hoodies would use the outlet to burn down my house for the sport of it.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I don't think there's a single public-access CNG filling station in the state,
Yes there are.
http://www.dgs.maryland.gov/cngFacilities/indexCNG.htm

Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 AM

The most impressive aspect of the GX' engineering is that it weighs more than itself! According to the specifications, the percent distribution (front/rear) is 59%/61%. It weighs 120% of itself!

Quick Reply: Did you think about the Civic GX NGV??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands