700 Miles per Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 700 Miles per Tank

The 2010 Fusion Hybrid is a really nice vehicle. With EV's coming out next year it's tempting to let yourself get caught up in other concepts, but truly this is a nice rig and will serve me for many years to come. I am delighted with the accessory package, the ride, the fit n finish, the handling, the noise level, the exterior styling, etc. Doing all this at 40mpg is really quite wonderful. I tried to get into a Prius but it is just too small for my 6'4" frame. This guy's got plenty of room!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

There are very few driver compromises to get the economy out of the FFH. I don't think we'll be saying the same thing for the Volt and other such EVs. I can't imagine what kind of generator it's going to take to give winter heat, summer AC, lights and motive power. 4.5kw? 6kw? Saw an article today that said the Volt's first 40 miles were cheap, but after that, it's 35mpg with the motor running.

On a related note that nobody is talking about yet, the Feds aren't going to sit idly by and see the gas tax revenue go away. I'm thinking that the FFH "reporting" is in preparation for the eventual gov't query and tax bill in the mail. "Pay per view" for cars.

Bob

Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

I have had the vehicle for approx. 7500 miles. The long term mpg as the car calculates it is 46.4 mpg. However, the short term is 47.3 and frequently a trip I will register 50 to 58 mpg as the car calculates it. After fill it tells me, last time, 783 miles to E and in actuality I drove 707 when the light came on and the dash said 51 miles to E.

Last edited by nrgwise; 09-11-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nrgwise
I have had the vehicle for approx. 7500 miles. The long term mpg as the car calculates it is 46.4 mpg. However, the short term is 47.3 and frequently a trip I will register 50 to 58 mpg as the car calculates it. After fill it tells me, last time, 783 miles to E and in actuality I drove 707 when the light came on and the dash said 51 miles to E.
I'm thinking you don't live in California, or at least not in mountainous areas. Yes or no? Where I live has both of these qualities, plus hot weather and so AC is on at least for comute trips back home in the afternoon. California gas is not good for fuel economy. When we traveled out of state in my wife's FEH we got almost 10% better mileage, and that took into account similar driving for many miles in CA. My last actual mpg (gallons filled to second top-off) came out to 40.38mpg, which I am tickled with still. The realtime gauge say 42.6, so it is higher than actual.

I was a 662 miles when the gas gauge was in the bright red zone, half way between E and the bottom white line, at which point I was getting nervous. When you go below E it turns red. I filled up and had 1.33 gallons left, if the gas tank capacity spec is accurate. So . . . would have made it to over 700 miles it would appear.

These reported mpg's of 47 and 50 must be from flat lands in high energy gas states. I am a pretty smart driver and moderate hypermiler, but this isn't translating to those numbers. Others have reported mpg under 40 too.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

Actually I live in the mountains - Berkshire Mtns. In fact the highest peak in the Berkshires is the view from my front window. All gas in the area is that 10% ethanol stuff. While it is true we have enough days here in the seasons to warrant the AC, in any vehicle I have owned I have never used it. My big test will be in the winter with 2 feet of snow and sub-zero temperatures. My previous vehicle was a FEH4WD - 2006. In winter the best I ever got with that was 29. Summer was 35. So I am very happy with what I am getting now.

I drove to mid Vermont today - ALL mountains the whole way. My MPG is exactly the same as when I left. Guess the ups and downs even out.

Last edited by nrgwise; 09-12-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are you going by actual gallons filled or the onboard mpg reports? If it's the former, then you are seeing some 17.5% better mileage. I note my LONG TERM mileage is almost identical to With fuel and terrain similar, I could no way expect that sort of difference to be attributable to differences in the vehicle itself. I do have a few less miles I think, at 3,200. That could be some of the diff. But out of the shoot, I would not expect more than 5-6% variance in any two cars given identicle operating conditions and same miles on the vehicle--but I admit this is just a guess on my part. I understand different regions and diff times of the year can affect energy content in the gasoline.

Anyway, 17.5% difference is in the realm of needing a good explanation. What's your take? Are you an extreme hypermiler?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast

My average mileage would be a lot better if I could get as good of mileage on the way to work as on the way home. I always seem to have to hurry to get there... on time. My dog doesn't care if I'm 2 minutes late.

Bob

Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

No, not a hypermiler. At least I don't think so. I learned a lot from having an FEH so perhaps it is that this is not my first hybrid vehicle and the lessons I learned about driving that I have applied in earnest with this vehicle.

1. I do take advantage of every downgrade - letting gravity do its work.
2. I try not to drive for too long in just electric or just gas. I find the best mileage I achieve is when there is a good mix. Except of course when coming down a mountain. I use the 'L' position and press the brakes enough to charge the battery.
3. When I first got it the first thing I did was learn the gas pedal. I use a technique I call 'fluttering' the gas pedal to put it in electric mode at highway speeds. Last weekend I drove to Boston on the Mass Pike. At highway speeds I can flutter the gas pedal to drop the gas and use the electric to maintain speeds until charge runs to about 1/3. I can get it to do this at 65 mph successfully. But so far if I wanted to keep up with traffic I have not been able to do it at 70 mph or above.
4. Since this is a very rural area it may be easier, but I do take specific routes to the various places I drive when I have a destination.

Overall, I really do think it is technique and learning the vehicle more than it is paying uber attention to everything and 'hypermiling.' I have read a lot of techniques hypermilers use and quite frankly it seems like a lot of work just to drive the car. At this point most of what I do is just second nature as opposed to an applied effort.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

I'm experimenting with a battery concept. Batteries charge more quickly when they are significantly run down. So I run it down as far as I can, then let it charge (but never to more than half), then run it down as far as possible again. That should cause it to take a charge using less energy from the engine/generator (coasting, brakes or whatever). Keep using it off the bottom-end of the charge.

It seems to have advantages.

Bob

Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nrgwise

3. When I first got it the first thing I did was learn the gas pedal. I use a technique I call 'fluttering' the gas pedal to put it in electric mode at highway speeds. Last weekend I drove to Boston on the Mass Pike. At highway speeds I can flutter the gas pedal to drop the gas and use the electric to maintain speeds until charge runs to about 1/3. I can get it to do this at 65 mph successfully. But so far if I wanted to keep up with traffic I have not been able to do it at 70 mph or above.
The FFH cant go into EV mode at this speed (max 47mph). Its most likely you are just coasting or using very little fuel to maintain your speed. I do this all the time it really only works on level road or going down hill.
I have a FFH with 8,000 miles. I live in boston but go to NH and the Berkshires allot. The car is averaging 38.9 mpgs. Mostly due to my wife's hilly and stop heavy commute to work.

Quick Reply: 700 Miles per Tank

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands