Any solid details on the CMax??

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Any solid details on the CMax??

Purchased C-Max in November. 3000 miles +. Tryiing to drive like "little old ladies"--our first hybrid...average 35 MPG. Practically universal criticism on the net about hyped 47 mpg (warm day, down hill, tail wind?). Otherwise a great car, I think(?)--comfy, roomy, lots of power. Owner's manual is practically useless...we recruited a 14-year-old nerd to help use sync features. Alarmed that Ford doesn't really know how to work on them if there is a complicated problem (we had one--total electrical black out despite good charge on conventional battery)--problem "healed" itself and Detroit engineers just scratched their heads..."Gee we don't know what went wrong." Lesson: wait to buy a first-time new model.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Any solid details on the CMax??

Well a 2nd hand Fusion Hybrid is the BEST DEAL right now. Price is right and the FE is solid! Maybe you already have a FFH? If that is the case, a Camry Hybrid USED is also good. C-Max is a wonderful choice but unfortunately you should not believe what Ford claim this time on FE...it is inaccurate!

But 40MPG combined is still likely if you try hard enough. The people claiming 37MPG doesn't know how Hybrid is driven.

40MPG is not bad...so it is definitely worth to consider.

Last note, the breed of Hybrids these days especially FORD offerings achieves best FE in the CITY driving. Highway driving you will get less MPGs in general. But the best advice is to keep tab on the EcoGauge....follow that and you will do fine. Ford have the best display for that...second to none!

Love my Fusion but as the weather is getting colder...be prepared FE will drop a bit.

My Fusion Hybrid get around 5.7L/100kms during summer time...then when it got colder it gets 6.5L/100kms. Recently it got colder and perhaps in Toronto petrol stations pump WINTER GAS now which now it shows a FE of 7.2L/100kms.

Just heads up...I am not blaming the car for this...6.5L/100km before WINTER GAS is very respectable in my books!

7.2L/100kms...count on it is due to WINTER FUEL!

Hope this helps!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Any solid details on the CMax??

Originally Posted by paymaster
I ended up buying the C-MAX and here is what I can tell you so far. I am averaging 44 mpg since I got it, some of which was practicing some techniques Wayne Gerdes from CleanMPG.com taught me at a meeting of the Milwaukee Hybrid Club. On those drives which was a mixture of mostly Freeway and 45-55mph roads with some city streets I averaged over 49 mpg. But that was trying hard. Today I drove it to work like I normally do. This is a 59 mile round trip of mostly Freeway. With my 2006 HCHII I would be upper 40's usually or even just over 50 mpg. This is driving 70-72 mph in the 65 zone and 60-65 in the 55. I averaged just over 42 in the C-Max. I am still learning the car and I think there is room for improvement but at this point I don't see the C-Max getting 47 mpg on the freeway. At least not without trying hard. 47 or above in the city though shouldn't be a problem.

Having said all that, everything else about the vehicle I think is great and if you can live with getting a little less than EPA it is a nice car.
Above 62 mph, teh EV part doesn't work. See if you can get a day of under 60 for the round trip and what the MPG is.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Any solid details on the CMax??

Latest news about the Fusion Hybrid. Now the weather is around 0 - 5 C degrees and I have FE of 6.0-6.2L/100kms. It is getting better again somehow since my last tank of gas. Still taking Regular and mind you, Premium gas to the FFH is NOT a treat so don't waste the money. I tried many tanks in the summer with equal or worse performance. This engine is made for REGULAR.

Will keep reporting my numbers.

Any feedback is appreciated as well!