Any solid details on the CMax??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.
Default Any solid details on the CMax??

We are looking to purchase a second hybrid for our family late this year/early next year and I was disappointed to find that the Escape Hybrid is now extinct. The C Max interests me but I am not finding any real numbers on its FE...yeah, I know because its not out yet, but I was hoping someone here has some info they can share. GaryG? Wayne? Anyone? TIA

Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Any solid details on the CMax??

Finally, some solid numbers have been released. A combined MPG of 47. Here are the details:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ric-only-speed

Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know much about that man..
Sorry I can't help you in the way..

Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

??

Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Second Hand Cars

If you are looking for purchase a second hand hybrid car for your family than I would like to suggest Search on Google I am sure you will get many sites where your dream car available for cheap. I have just searched for you in Google and I got many sites but I liked TTCars.Net which is really good site. You can search any car by make, model or by type. I got a page http://www.ttcars.net/used-cars/ford/fusion/ where are many cheap ford fusion cars available and it also match with your requirements. Please take a look and contact directly the dealer for more information.

Best luck

Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast

I took a C-Max out for a test drive. It had been driven to the dealership and had just over 500 miles on it. It showed 37.6 mpg for those miles. I then took it for about a 30 mile drive with a mixture of freeway and city and got 39.2. For comparison I get mid-upper 40's in my 2006 Civic Hybrid without trying and I got 53.1 when I did a similar test of a 2012 Prius. I liked the C-Max much better than the Prius but the mileage was very disappointing.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

That is very interesting information.

Ford spent many, many months diddling with the EPA and the vehicles over the MPG ratings. Far more time and effort than other manufacturers over their vehicles. Were the 47/47 numbers a one-shot anomaly?

I have a 2008 Escape Hybrid and have been looking forward to trading to a C-Max. But, not if the EPA numbers are bogus. More information is needed!

Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

I ended up buying the C-MAX and here is what I can tell you so far. I am averaging 44 mpg since I got it, some of which was practicing some techniques Wayne Gerdes from CleanMPG.com taught me at a meeting of the Milwaukee Hybrid Club. On those drives which was a mixture of mostly Freeway and 45-55mph roads with some city streets I averaged over 49 mpg. But that was trying hard. Today I drove it to work like I normally do. This is a 59 mile round trip of mostly Freeway. With my 2006 HCHII I would be upper 40's usually or even just over 50 mpg. This is driving 70-72 mph in the 65 zone and 60-65 in the 55. I averaged just over 42 in the C-Max. I am still learning the car and I think there is room for improvement but at this point I don't see the C-Max getting 47 mpg on the freeway. At least not without trying hard. 47 or above in the city though shouldn't be a problem.

Having said all that, everything else about the vehicle I think is great and if you can live with getting a little less than EPA it is a nice car.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

We are considering downsizing. Trading in the '10 F150, and the '08 FEH. I drove a cmax today. Wasn't planning on it, just wanted to see it. I didn't have much time, was a quick drive. The car had just over 100 miles on it. The readout said 31mpg. I did not reset it, the salesguy drove half the way..LOL. I got it to increase by 1.5mpg, driving as I would the FEH.

I liked it. I liked the inside. It drove well, was quiet enough, and the turning radius seemed comperable to the FEH. I am giving this car serious consideration, it comes in at a reasonable price. I will be going for a much more involved drive soon.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

I've got a C-Max on order - should be in by Christmas.

I was reading an owner's manual that I found online - they say don't bother checking the MPG during the first 1000 mi. because that's the engine break-in period... Hmm.
Also, I suspect that many people during a test-drive will want to see what kind of acceleration the car has, so the displayed MPG may be skewed low.
I know the Prius-V we test-drove had something like 20MPG being displayed - Not sure how you'd get it that low if you wanted to.

Quick Reply: Any solid details on the CMax??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands