GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Ford Fusion Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: Ford Escape 4WD
Default ANy word on when Ford plans on releasing these as plug ins?

I'll need to turn in my coupe for a 4 door car soon. Was hoping to get a plug-in hybrid and the Fusion seemed the best fitting for what we wanted.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 08 Toyota Camry
Default Re: ANy word on when Ford plans on releasing these as plug ins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsyo View Post
I'll need to turn in my coupe for a 4 door car soon. Was hoping to get a plug-in hybrid and the Fusion seemed the best fitting for what we wanted.
The new C-MAX Focus variant is supposedly coming as a plug-in hybrid next year. The Fusion's unlikely to go there until the next major chassis makeover, which is several years down the line.

It would take some serious upgrades (like Li-ion batteries and the related changes to inverter and charging strategies) to give the current car meaningful plug-in capability.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: FFH 2010

The design criteria for a PHEV are quite different from a HEV. The FFH is quite heavy (3800 lbs )and wasn't even originally designed as a HEV. The additional cost of even a modestly bigger Li type HVB would probably never be amortized with only a slightly lower electric energy cost. The Prius ( 3100 lbs. )was designed from the ground up as a HEV and it is only 20% lighter and gets 20 % better mileage. The X prize mileage winner weighed only 800 lbs and got 100 mpg. After 40 -50 mpg cars, things get much more difficult. Most bought the FFH because it was bigger, quieter, smoother and faster than the Prius. That costs 10 mpg.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2005 Escape AWD

The PHEV Escape has a lighter battery weight than the HEV Escape and gets significantly better mileage. Click the image to open in full size.
Better yet, this vehicle has 3x the electric range of the PHEV Prius. That said, the C-Max PHEV will be the next hybrid vehicle Ford brings to the market and the Escape hybrid future is unknown at this time frame.

2005 4WD Escape Hybrid

Best Interstate tank trip E20 MPG 34.6 for 271 miles along I-80 in Indiana and Ohio. May 2008

Best multiple road tank trip E20 MPG 36.2 for 202 miles in Southwestern Pa. July 2008.

Best multiple road tank trip E50 38.1 MG for 246 miles in Northern Wisconsin Aug 2012
Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: Ford Escape 4WD

Looks like I can get a plug-in FFH late this year or early next. Looks nice too.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: Accord, Fusion

Yeah like JTsyo said, it will come real soon! It is called Fusion Energi! Not much information published yet but it should do better than the Hybrid cousin and the current generation. But I still love my FFH!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Tags
escape, ford, hybrid, plans, plug, plugins, production